Thread: Cloud Computing??

Ultimate Member

Cloud Computing??

The more I learn about "Cloud Computing" the more concerned I get. Tell me I am wrong. It just seems that when you centralize computing into fewer places, the more vulnerable we can get. I am, of course, talking about attacks on data centers.

It seems that if 500 companies ran their own systems, albeit more expensive, they are less vulnerable than by consolidating into a central server (backed up of course).

Perhaps I don't really understand what "Cloud Computing" is.

I can't tell you you're wrong. I think companies are always going to want to keep their sensitive data stored locally. I know I would. I really don't like the idea at all, and I think it's one of those IT trends that is not going to become ubiquitous. Call me crazy.

Ultimate Member
    I have been in the computing business since 1961 and this is perhaps one of the most dangerous issues I have seen, all in the name of progress. It just seems if you have, for example, 500 companies, each with their own servers/databases, they are much less vulnerable than if their data was held at a centralize server. One hit and 500 companies out of business.

I just advised an investment firm my daughter works for of my observations and the president of this company did share some of the same concerns. I was happy to see this. Hopefully, as companies implement this technology, they do, as you said, make adaquate backup of their data and would do good to have a backup server at their own site. This probably defeats some of the anticipated savings of course.

Thanks for your comments.

JMHCS

That said, I do see the value in cloud computing for certain processor intensive applications, but not for generals storage.

Think about a company with 500 computers and they want to upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2010. They send an email to all employess and say click HERE and boom.

Cloud computing has advantages that, in large corporate networks, simply outweigh the security worries. Could you imagine trying to manage 1000+ users, client computers and servers in a business without something like active directory? Sure, it means having one entrance point to access all network resources, but careful grouping and settings of permissions management negates much of the risk. Logging of potential intrusions can be viewed in one place.

Cloud computing as a backup solution, so long as it isn't the only backup solution in use, isn't so bad of an idea. Even if there was an intrusion to a cloud computing service's data center the likelihood they pick out your data is highly unlikely. There's potentially hundreds of thousands of clients storing data with such services.

It's an abstract step into a new age.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

I don't like the potential exposure aspect from outside interests, hackers, or competitors, but I really don't like the exposure to and from government fiddling. A couple of tweaks from the DHS, or now maybe the FCC, and the nature of the internet access and privacy from government eavesdropping could change almost overnight. At least if you keep data in your own equipment, you can pull the plug at your own discretion.
    Last edited by genesound; 12-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Ultimate Member
    genesound - I believe you have pointed out the most immediate threat of all. Good observation.

I like the idea of cloud computing. Seems to me that the largest danger to companies are almost always on site; moving the data could be safer. If I'm not mistaken, better cloud servers have multiple backups in different continents, countries etc. Taking down one wouldn't take out anyone if I understand it correctly.
    On a personal level; I use cloud services like LastPass, and am very pleased with it.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Ultimate Member
    It is all matter of your tolerance for risk and relinquishing control of a valuable asset to others. I personally have a very low tolerance for this. I like to be in control to the best of my ability. My son and I have a small private network with which we do backup, data storage, etc. at three private locations. Seems to work well.

And if you had 1500 additional computers in 12 states - that needed backup etc... would you feel the same way? Or would having one location - cloud solution - help?

Ultimate Member
    I guess there is no right answer here. It is only what a person feels comfortable with. I see your point and I am admittedly not an expert in this field but I believe I would feel the same. There must be a way for a company to set up a pseudo cloud where they retain entire control and only their data is in the servers (multiple servers at multiple locations). Maybe that is what we are talking about here. Again, I am not an expert here but am trying to understand the technology.

I guess I a member of genesound's points. Time will tell, perhaps not in my lifetime as I am 67 years old and really should not give a rip about these things - but I do.

Good conversation.

There are a lot of considerations in the cost/risk/benefit analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    And if you had 1500 additional computers in 12 states - that needed backup etc... would you feel the same way? Or would having one location - cloud solution - help?
    For my family, we use Dropbox. (cloud site I believe) It would work good at updating files on all 1500 pc's/mobile devices from one site. It also creates back ups that can be restored if someone deletes files. Not sure how many businesses are using it, but it is great for us sharing files, pictures etc. from different cities.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

My browser allows users to upload user data and favorites to their servers, for backup and also to populate new browser installations on new machines. I'm not even comfortable doing that. Who knows who would be viewing it and maybe going to the sites I belong to and trying to crack my password with a brute force attack? No way. I'll use a pen drive.