Thread: Printer

Printer

I've had to upgrade a seldom used printer to the primary position. My old primary claims it has something jammed, but I cannot find a thing. I'll deal with that later.

I'm now using an Epson Stylus Photo R300. It's okay for text, though not too speedy. The problem comes when I print color. It has five colors, plus black. Two of the color heads seem to be plugged. Pictures just don't look right without the light cyan and the yellow.

I've gone through the head cleaning routine a half dozen times. It isn't working. They're still clogged.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to clean those heads?

Got it. It was due to a lack of understanding of the quirks of this printer. The problem wasn't that the heads were clogged, but rather that the printer quits sucking ink when the cartridge is still about 25% full. The other contributing factor is that the Epson utility which shows ink level resets each color to show as full whenever the cartridge is pulled from the printer. So, I can have an empty ink cartridge which my printer tells me is 100% full.

I found and downloaded a 3rd party utility which gives me a somewhat more accurate reading.

I refilled all six ink cartridges, ran a head cleaning cycle, and it works well again.

Now, to go back to wondering what happened to the other printer.

I really hate inkjet printers - so much so that I'd rather pay thru the nose for color laser.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Epson printers don't care too much for refilled cartridges. They'll suck a refilled cartridge dry. If you take a flashlight and look inside the printer, usually under the cartridge heads and where the cartridges sit when the printer is not in use, you will see ink covering the area. I've tested the same printer with refills to see if there was a really noticeable difference, there was. Plus the refills ended up clogging up the print heads.