Thread: Fake Virus Warning Popup

Fake Virus Warning Popup

I know this is an old chestnut. But none of the standard methods work.

When clicking on links in Google searches I keep getting this annoying popup "Message from webpage - Your computer is at risk of malware attacks. We recommend you to...........Press OK to start the process now".

I understand the consequences of following these directions.

I have performed full scans with Malware Bytes, Panda Cloud AV, Trojan Remover, Trend Micro House Call. All come back clean and tell me I have no malware. I know that I have to be infected with something. Googling for an answer only results in links to companys that want to sell me more malware removal tools.

I am desperate. Does anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

If you're only getting the popup on some sites then its easy to thing the popup is built into the the site...

Do you get the popup even if your browser is closed or on sites like SysOpt that you know are good sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    If you're only getting the popup on some sites then its easy to thing the popup is built into the the site...

Do you get the popup even if your browser is closed or on sites like SysOpt that you know are good sites?
    The popups occur randomly in Google searches. Way too many to be infected websites.

I think I may have fixed the problem. Per advice received on a different support forum, I ran Vipre Rescue. It quarenteened one registry key. I then ran numerous Google searches and clicked on about 50 links. I did not get a single fake virus popup. I THINK this may have fixed the problem.

It's hard to believe that Malware Bytes, Panda Cloud, Trend Micro Housecall, McAfee Free Scan, and Trojan remover all missed this.

You can bet that I will remember Vipre Rescue if this ever happens again.

Heh heh....those ~you've been infected~ webpages make me laugh....I get them when surfing from Ubuntu/Mepis/Mint/various Linux distros. It pops up a thing showing a Windows explorer window with a C: drive etc....I just look at the thing and wonder how many people get duped into clicking their crummy link.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Websites are managed, give that some thought.

One thing that is very cool about the full version of AntiVir (which I have on one PC) is that it will warn you ahead of time about this sort of **** so that you can opt out of connecting to one of those sites before arriving.
    MS MCP, MCSE