Thread: .iso file to memory stick

.iso file to memory stick

hi all

I am downloading ubuntu, it wants to burn the .iso file to disk, I want to put it on a flash drive or memory stick, so I can run it on my laptop(dual boot) I have vista on the laptop now.

thier is a windows installer option at the ubuntu site, i press it and it says its downloading (the orange tab) but nothing seems to be happening, no window poping up saying downloading file.

so i tried to just download the file but as mentioned it wants to burn it to disk.

so now i am just saving the file in hopes that some of the fine folk at sysopt can dance me through the process of loading it onto the memory stick so I can load it onto my laptop.

and just for my own knowledge, is a flash drive and a memory stick the same thing?

thanks in advance, ward.

is a flash drive and a memory stick the same thing?
    Yes.

You can use UNetbootin to install that ISO onto your flash drive. It is a free standing program that requires no installation. Just point it to the flash drive and the ISO file.
    If you haven't already set your laptop to boot from USB before HDD, you can usually evoke a boot menu at startup by pressing F12.

thanks for the link rocketmech, will be doin some reading. I even signed up for the geek mail, figured it couldent hurt.

ol'tunzafun thanks for your link and the heads up on f12, didnt know that.

now to go play!

regards, ward.

well it was scary for a minute or two but i am pleased to say i am logged in here via ubuntu and firefox.

that unetbotoin program, can you save it to your hdd or do you have to run it from the site anytime you want to make a bootable flash drive. i want to make a ubcd on a flash drive eventualy. now that i know how to do it i supose i could just delete ubuntu off this one and just go ahead and make the ubcd flash drive. im stuck in camp for a while so cant pick up a couple more drives till they let us outa here.

anyway, thanks again for the guidance, ward.

that unetbotoin program, can you save it to your hdd or do you have to run it from the site
    When you click on the download link, and you are given a choice of "Run" or "Save", choose "Save". Then you can always run it from the saved location, or for that matter, from any place you like, because the executable file is completely mobile, or as we say, "free-standing".

I kinda figured that one out after reading through rocketmech,s link. I must have it downloaded it three or four times i just dont know where its going. I am having issues as to where downloads go for some reason. up untill yesterday for some odd reason downloads went into limewire saved folder, as a rule I just download to the desktop.

I will download it again using ubuntu, then I will go back to vista and sort out the download issue.

hope every one has a great day, ward.

PS rocketmech, that looks like it will be an educational site, thanks again!
    Last edited by wardD; 09-06-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Firefox download location settings
    ..should be the same for either Windows or Unbuntu.

IE8 will prompt you for the location , your last download location is usually the default unless your using a download manager. Limewire may include a IE add-on for managing your downloads, you need to check for that, I don't use or recommend Limewire myself, so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Rocketmech; 09-06-2010 at 10:24 AM.

i agree with you on limewire, I vary rarley use it anymore, once in a blue moon for music. i have goten viri from files d/loaded using it so i switched to bitlord and havent goten claped up since. i probably should just delete it.

I definatley like your how to geek link, been learning lots just browsin and readin.

regards, ward.