Thread: software amplifier for computers?

Hybrid View

software amplifier for computers?

I was just checking out the sysopt sister site, vurtual DR forums. I was just reading up on widgets, gadgets, and stuff.

I was wondering if their is an amplifier(software) available for computers. I am in a remote camp and use my laptop to watch movies and listen to tunes. i have amplified speakers but was worried about weight for the flight in so didnt bring them this time around, and my laptop doesent go very loud without the above mentioned speakers.

headphones work alright, but it would be nice to kick back on the bed and watch a movie or listen to tunes without having the laptop close enough to have the head phones pluged in.

if anyone knows of such an animal i surley would apreciate hearing from you.

thanks in advance, ward.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Headphone extension cords are available.

Here is a 20 ft example.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxell-20-...pters/10298579

hey train, thanks for the reply. i actualy have an extension, my s video cord would allow me to hook up to our big screen in the rec room but as mentioned left all but head phones home. couldent even get all my rig gear in due to the weight issue.

I saw a comercial for the new hp laptop for sound and that got me to thinkin maybe their is a software amp somewhere out their, I figured it was just wishfull thinking, but you just never know. as always i apreciate your time and thoughts.

regards, ward.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    SS and you posted the best I guess in the other forum.
    Watch it using headphones, my hearing went from 50dB to 60dB using them.

Not good at all.

A 2w speaker is a 2w speaker and the audio power circuitry is designed accordingly. You cannot drive the internal amp gain any higher than its designed for with 3rd party software. Your headphone jack is designed for headphones, that's why you need an amp to drive external speakers.

I would make sure the Master volume is maxed and then use the volume control from the player. hope for the best.

headphone with built-in preamp!

Me Too!

Hi Ward,

I have been having the exact same problem. I have been looking at a compact portable amplified speaker. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=556410

There has to be a program to adjust the source volume somewhere out there. Good luck in your search!
    Have a nice day

DNA, I have a nice set of usb pre amped speakers, Im prety sure I picked them up at the source, aka, radio shack they are not boom boxes but work very well in camp or small area,s where you dont want to bother other people.