Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the sysopt people gone?

Where have all the sysopt people gone?

I have not come to this forum too often this year. Maybe a handfull of times in 2010. But usually I would come to this sysopt forum at least 20-30 times a year. This year since I have not really been building anything new pc wise. I have kept a "low pro" from sysopt. However since coming back to post and read some post. I notice I dont see any of the "old timers" or regulars I used to see here often. Where did everyone go?

You're a good example...People just drift away

Then there's the part about tons of new sites pop up everyday AND even the hardware and software companies are getting into helping alot more then they used to.

People change; OS's are much better, and people have far fewer problems. Things are far cheaper, and people will just throw out/recycle something that is giving them a problem. You can usually find your answer via a "search". I think these contribute too.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

I'm here

I'm with cdroman and Steve on this one. Things have definitely changed. I look back on when I first joined SysOpt four years ago. I read the old posts and have to laugh and feel embarrassed at and for myself; I can't believe I was like I was then.

But even four years ago, the community was active and buzzing with need for good software support that I could hardly understand (and would come to learn much about from this site alone). Not just the highly technical stuff, but general items, as well. Overclocking those epic P4's and discussing the usefulness of those epic Pentium D's was a big todo. Nowadays, performance parts at stock speeds are all one needs to enjoy their favorite games in HD.

Buying pre-built systems is not beyond the reach of most middle-class families. That is, systems that deliver such performance. Why build power yourself when someone can take your preferences and deliver it to you for a bit more? Not as much struggling there mentioned here.

The popularity of mobile devices make it more likely that people would simply replace the defective item they have instead of troubleshooting it, and why not? The average person isn't going to gain much ground from splitting open their iphone, or netbook, or other like device.

Though of all the things most deserted, I think the off-topic section has taken the worst toll of all. JM and the rest of the crew lost their incentive to stick around. Drifted off.

It's sad, but nothing lasts forever cept the certainty of death.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

I still poke my nose in once in a while. But I can admit I'm not very active.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-ud4p / 3.1 AM3 Phenom II x2 550 Black Edt. Callisto / Corsair XMS2 2x2gb DDR2800 / 640gb Caviar Black 2ea./ HIS 4670 1gb DDR3 / Rosewill Case 5604 with 650 EarthWatts / XP Home 32bit

I wander in once in a while to look around. Just that work keeps me pretty busy as per VoIP for commercial has seen some serious growth as a business. They sell it, I design it based on customer needs, then I build it. Program the QOS/multiwan routers I build from embedded PC's (Linux based), program either ATA's or digital gateways for T1 card connections on SIP trunking to legacy ***'s, cabling etc.

Like I said busy. Actually changing companies in the next couple of weeks to a more established that is paying me 72% more in pay and benefits with less work as with this last company I was the programmer, installer, surveyor, IT support for the company, etc.
    Next job I just get to oversee and direct installs, and train noobs. Less work, more $$$$
    Most people think,
    Great God will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:
    And now you see the light,
    You stand up for your rights. jah!

Hello all. First time for me in about eight months or more. Like most i used to come here for my issues or to chip in and help others, but about two years ago this forum just died or people just moved on to toher things I suppose. For me its not as if i've changed any views about this site.., its more like what "cdroman" stated. Ditto to all that. Life and people move on. After so long one finally gets most the answers one needs and unless ignorant, ones computer might work right for longer periods, or even one might be then able to fix issues themselves, or even find ones answers on ones own. What a concept.
    I do however miss the banter thrown about, and even the harassments,arguments, and self indulgence I ( we ) used to get here.
    Makes one wonder how sites like this keep on running huh? Yes.., we are all becoming extinct. Marketing, money and our way of life will keep on going though. Now..search engines are taking over and we all can find answers elsewhere and everywhere. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Forums in general are less in vogue than they used to be. Another reason is the improvement in various computer components. Optimization is not really necessary anymore. Processors are blazing fast and affordable, motherboards now have on board sound that is sufficiently good that you really don't need sound cards unless you're a serious audiophile. Same goes for graphics.

Forgot i even had an user-account here.

Anyhow times have changed Computers are more common and dirt cheaper and there's tons more awareness and replacing parts are a breeze and with the way the internet is there are tutorials for everything imaginable.

were defiantly not in the wild west anymore dorothy.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Forums in general are less in vogue than they used to be. Another reason is the improvement in various computer components. Optimization is not really necessary anymore. Processors are blazing fast and affordable, motherboards now have on board sound that is sufficiently good that you really don't need sound cards unless you're a serious audiophile. Same goes for graphics.
    This is very true; I needed to replace the mobo and processor for my media pc, I got a 2.8 GHz 45 watt proc. and a mobo for under $100. The mobo has onboard sound and video, but I'm not using either since it is my media pc.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

cdroman.., That is about waht i have now. Mobo was like under eighty dollars, and i gots a 2.8GHz CPU that is fast enough ( even though i want abit faster with more cache ) for cheap, and plays any game new to date fantastic. I've used onboard sound for like over three years now and its good enough. Someday i will get another sound card ( "Turtle Beach" this time ).

Most suffcient enough MB's one can get for undre $130.00 these days loaded with everything, and even alot at under $ 100.00. LOL to all.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I'm still here but agree with pretty much every one, you have to admit, me as a business owner have seen a decline in business due to computers being some what more user friendly. What ever happened to jumper’s lol oh and I think they all hang out of Facebook
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post

The Social Networking sites like Facebook etc have taken a lot of people I think, but it's just a fad that will likely fade.

Also Computers have gotten easier to build and much cheaper also.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Last edited by herosrest; 10-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING