Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the sysopt people gone?

Been a lonng time.

I wander back every once in a while to see whats up with j.r. and the rest. Also post a question when I can't google a good answer.
    It is funny though to look back at some of my first posts and see where I/we are at today.
    Have to disagree with ya Ankerson, think the social sites are the growth and future of the net. Take FBook with the new email. Think they are trying to be the one-place to go for most everything eventually. Only reason forums like this have not really taken off there I think is it is not a feature with a big bang for the buck, yet.
    We are getting a lot of requests for our FB/MySpace/Orkut/Linkedin platform integration module.
    Last edited by mobo57; 11-21-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Have to agree with mobo57 about FB. It is hugely attracting people like my wife and her friends (who never used to use a pc much). They are on there a heck of a lot. My wife loves FB and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. There are a lot of people in the 30-60 year old bracket; and they are flocking to FB to keep in touch with each other. Personally, I'm impressed with Dropbox; it is my current favorite.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Quote Originally Posted by mobo57 View Post
    I wander back every once in a while to see whats up with j.r. and the rest. Also post a question when I can't google a good answer.
    It is funny though to look back at some of my first posts and see where I/we are at today.
    Have to disagree with ya Ankerson, think the social sites are the growth and future of the net. Take FBook with the new email. Think they are trying to be the one-place to go for most everything eventually. Only reason forums like this have not really taken off there I think is it is not a feature with a big bang for the buck, yet.
    We are getting a lot of requests for our FB/MySpace/Orkut/Linkedin platform integration module.
    They can have all of it, I stick with the forums.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

What happened...

I stopped regularly visiting SysOpt around the same time Scott started TechIMO.

I still stop by a couple of times a year (often to check out steals and deals), but my role has significantly changed. I'm no longer a hardware guy, but have moved on to middleware systems administration (message brokering, and secure transport).

Though I still have technical issues to resolve, other forums have appeared specific to the highly specialized middleware systems I administer, or are focused upon specific coding languages I use. SysOpt and TechIMO are great for broad knowledge, but the in depth resources I need these days are easier to find elsewhere.

I suspect my story is not all that unique.

I still peak in once in a blue moon. It tough out there bein there's a forum for every topic and every googled search phrase now days. It's not like back when I joined and you stayed loyal to your one stop pc forum, that had all your answers.
    Lenovo y700-15acz
    MSI GT80S 6QF

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    You're a good example...

Your a good example too ...... For differing reasons tho' ......... Still it takes awl sorts I guess.

Look gimme a proper wage & a company car ......... I'll have the place hopping inside 6 months .........

Somthings just don't change ....... Like My poor grammar perhaps

company car? None of us even have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    You're a good example...People just drift away

Then there's the part about tons of new sites pop up everyday AND even the hardware and software companies are getting into helping alot more then they used to.
    geeze...don't you people have homes ?

Hey stylin - your first post in over eight years..Has to be a record

Where ya been hiding?

Steve,

it's been awhile...things were different back then. Some of the off topic general discussions were doozies.
    It was exciting to OC a "locked" processor. Break things on purpose...now ?
    now I just go for cheap PC's and free software.

still a cobol tester....life is good.

nice to see you're still helping folks...
    take care, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    They can have all of it, I stick with the forums.
    I agree.

I stop in now and again

Wow it really has been a while since I've been here. Good to see that some people are still around!

i bet just like blogs have lost out to facebook and twitter.......forums have lost their charm as well.

BTW i don't have a facebook, or linkedin or twitter( very uncool of me)...busy with life i guess.

hey but am still here.

Reporting for duty.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com