Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy on new computer build.

Tragedy on new computer build.

I built a brand new computer that booted the first three times and now it won’t start at all. Let me start with the specs.
    Motherboard - Asus P6T
    Processor - CPU INTEL CORE I7 930 2.80G
    Power supply – Antec Earth watts 750 watts
    Bluray - HP 8X bd240I
    Video – Asus ENGT240 powered by nvida geforce GT240 with HDMI
    Memory – 6GB Kingston 3 DIMM kit
    Hard drive - Seagate 512 GB
    Case - cooler master My Tique with 120MM front intake fan & 120 rear exhaust

I just purchased all the parts and after I assembled it I tested to see if it would boot and it booted just fine. After a minute I shut it down.
    Next day I installed a floppy drive and booted it again to see if the system was reading the floppy and it was. Since all was ok I shut it down and went to bed.
    I didn’t have a chance to touch the computer for a week but tonight I booted it again to set up the bios and then install the OS. First thing I did in the bios was change the boot device priority. Then I checked system hardware and noticed that it was only reading 4GB of memory. This was odd since I had installed 6GB. Last thing I did before shutting it down was to check the hardware monitor. All my fans were running at normal speed.
    The processor seemed to be running a little hot at 140 degrees F. I’m not sure if this is normal for a core i7. After that I shut it down and had dinner.
    So I came back to my project an hour later and hit the power button and nothing!
    The blue light came on for a second and then faded. At this point I opened the case and noticed that the motherboard light was one indicating that the board was receiving power but no mater how many times I press the power button nothing happens. If I unplug wait 10 minutes and then try to power it up again I will once again get 1 second of power but then the system shuts down.
    What the hell did I do wrong?
    I built a brand new computer that booted the first t times and now it won’t start at all. Let me start with the specs.
    Motherboard - Asus P6T
    Processor - CPU INTEL CORE I7 930 2.80G
    Power supply – Antec Earth watts 750 watts
    Bluray - hp 8X bd240I
    Video – Asus ENGT240 powered by nvida geforce GT240 with HDMI
    Memory – 6GB Kingston 3 DIMM kit
    Hard drive - Seagate 512 GB
    Case - cooler master My Tique with 120MM front intake fan & 120 rear exhaust

I just purchased all the parts and after I assembled it I tested to see if it would boot and it booted just fine. After a minute I shut it down.
    Next day I installed a floppy drive and booted it again to see if the system was reading the floppy and it was. Since all was ok I shut it down and went to bed.
    I didn’t have a chance to touch the computer for a week but tonight I booted it again to set up the bios and then install the OS. First thing I did in the bios was change the boot device priority. Then I checked system hardware and noticed that it was only reading 4GB of memory. This was odd since I had installed 6GB. Last thing I did before shutting it down was to check the hardware monitor. All my fans were running at normal speed.
    The processor seemed to be running a little hot at 140 degrees F. I’m not sure if this is normal for a core i7. After that I shut it down and had dinner.
    So I came back to my project an hour later and hit the power button and nothing!
    The blue light came on for a second and then faded. At this point I opened the case and noticed that the motherboard light was one indicating that the board was receiving power but no mater how many times I press the power button nothing happens. If I unplug wait 10 minutes and then try to power it up again I will once again get 1 second of power but then the system shuts down.
    What the hell did I do wrong?
    This is not the first system I've assembled. This is at least the 14th I’ve built in the last 10 years but I’ve have never had this problem.
    Did the power supply burn out the CPU? Or was the CPU simply not properly cooled?
    Is it something else.

My guess is that either the motherboard failed or the power supply is whacked.

Remove the board from the case, place it on a soft, non-conductive surface near the case and plug in the power supply. Leave in the CPU and RAM. Place the vid card in and connect the monitor. Connect the power. Nothing else needs to be connected. Press down hard on the vid card and use your screwdriver to short the POWER BUTTON pins. See if it POSTs.
    MS MCP, MCSE

So you are implying that they may also be an issue with the case? I will try your suggestion when I get home. Lucky this motherboard has a power on and reset button built right on it. My original though was that the CPU overheated. The BIOS showed it was running at 144 degrees.

I'm implying that the motherboard installation may be bad.

That temp is rather warm. Maybe you should consider remounting the CPU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I would also use just the minimum amount of ram required to boot the MB. If it still doesn't boot try another array of ram.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Quote Originally Posted by i1zombie View Post
    So you are implying that they may also be an issue with the case? I will try your suggestion when I get home. Lucky this motherboard has a power on and reset button built right on it. My original though was that the CPU overheated. The BIOS showed it was running at 144 degrees.
    With the MB out of the case and minimum components to boot first check that the CPU fan is actually installed correctly. Then try to boot and touch the side of the CPU Cooler, you cannot hold your finger on the cooler at 144 deg. F, it will burn you. I know that the indicator in BIOS will lie to you, maybe not as hot as you think.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    140 degree Fahrenheit = 60 degree Celsius

About 10C to warm. Did you use the pad on the heatsink?
    Did you remove the factory protective cover from the pad?

Yes and I applied additional thermal grease

Bill I did as you suggested and still nothing. There was a click from the power supply and the CPU fan moved 1/4 of an inch. That’s it!. As I mentioned the light on the mother board does light up
    Tomorrow I intend to test the power supply on an older P3 computer and let it run for 30 minutes. If it does not kill the P3 system then I think I can safely assume the power supply is ok.

Also, I double checked the heat sink and it seems to be attacked securely.

Quote Originally Posted by i1zombie View Post
    Yes and I applied additional thermal grease
    That may have been your mistake. There is probably too much material between the CPU and the heatsink making heat transfer between them too difficult.

Remove the heatsink and then the thermal tape and all the grease. Put a thin layer of grease on the CPU. You don't need much. Spread it out with a credit card or something else with a straight edge. The thinner the better - as long as it covers the entire CPU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Make sure the thermal grease is paper thin.

Select your cpu and here are good instructions for applying thermal grease.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_ap...on_method.html

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Do teh other meet these requirements in the table at
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/inside...-tolerance.htm

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Site Goof up
    Last edited by Train; 07-27-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Goof up

so I 've been running the power supply on an older P3 1GHZ computer and discovered something very interesting. The -5v runs at -6.2v. This issue seems to to not have effected my P3 computer. However my old p3 computer does not have the axillary 8 pin v12 connector on the motherboard like my Ci7 does.
    Do you suppose this could have killed my Ci7. If so why does it kill one computer and not the other?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Check my post above your last one.

something real goof took place for sure.