Thread: Unable to enter NT laptop

Unable to enter NT laptop

Hi!

I got an old laptop (Lifebook B112, Product No: FPC01002B, Part No: CP021400) from my job, that I would to use as video player for my kid. It has Windows NT installed and I want to change that to XP. The are some problems...
    1. I don't have the password.
    1. It can only boot from a floppy, but unfortunatley it doesn't find it when I plug it in.
    2. It has two USB ports, but in the set-up I can't specify the USB, only Diskette Drive (which doesn't work) or Hard Drive.

Any solutions/suggestions? Or is the computer just to old to do anything...?

Me and my son are very much looking forward to a respons from you!
    Ulf Berg

Hi Ulf,

http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/...ered-bios.html might help if it's a BIOS password problem.
    Last edited by michaeln; 07-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Grab NT pssword reset, it's darn easy to use and it'll get you into your laptop in no-time.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd

Overview.

• This is a utility to reset the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your Windows NT/2k/XP/Vista/Win7 etc system.
    • You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
    • It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppydisk or CD or another system.
    • Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
    • There is also a registry editor and other registry utilities that works under linux/unix, and can be used for other things than password editing.

Windows NT has no native USB capability. So that is that.

Any laptop that was made in the NT era will not run any modern Windows operating system efficiently. I do not recommend wasting any more time on this project. You are better off recycling this laptop.
    MS MCP, MCSE

You could probably get this old laptop running with Puppy Linux, even if you do it just to learn something new. I know that Puppy can be set up to boot from a floppy, then hand off the init processing to the optical drive to finish up loading. Puppy can run on older equipment that would choke on XP or newer. If you don't like it, you can still recycle it per BPB.

It has a great selection of software loaded by default.
    And it is free...