Thread: Windows 7 & RAID

Windows 7 & RAID

I have an Asus P5QL-E mother board ,a RAID 1 array up and running with Windows 7 installed.
    A so-called "Back up" program very kindly - and without so much as a by-your-leave - added a new partition to my disk and altered the MBR so I now have to say whether I want to boot into their blasted progam or W7.
    I have removed the program (which, of course, did not reset the MBR - Real amateur night for a supposed "professional" company) and now want to reset the MBR myself.

However, If I try to boot from the W7 DVD, the RAID drivers do not get loaded and the boot stalls as soon as the mouse pointer appears but before anything else - I assume because the DVD system is looking for a hard drive and can't find it.

This means, of course, that I can't access the REPAIR facility to run Bootrec.exe
    I REALLY don't want to go down the path of separating the RAID array and setting up a singleton disk just to repair the MBR and then rebuild if I can help it.

Can anyone help?

Ta

Jim.
    PS. Did you get the impression I was miffed by the progam ??? --- Good!
    Suetonius

Jim, there is always a point in the bootup sequence on any Windows version that allows you to press a key to load storage drivers.

Read here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...ed-controllers

Another method is to use a 3rd-party boot manager:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

It's easy and has multiple options. Check under Add/Remove first and then Manage Bootloader.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill, I kiss your hand . . . figuratively speaking, of course !! )

I forgot top say in my original post that F6 didn't work - but reading that thread you pointed to, it would seem I wasn't alone. ASUS make some excellent mobos, but there's times I feel they ought to provide a starting handle with them!

I had been looking for a propriety program, but missed EasyBCD.
    It worked a treat. It told me the only system in the drive was W7, so there was no need to worry about re-building the BCD, I then just told it to re-write the MBR and Sapristi! The whole thing was back to what counts as normal.

Thanks a lot.

Jim.
    Suetonius