Thread: Atheros driver upgrade causes signal strength drop (802.11g)

Intermittent connection problems to 802.11g AP

Hello everyone,

I have been having problems with intermittent connection problems with a specific AP(CISCO 802.11g ch6) at the office. But it had over -65dbm of signal strength, so signal strength shouldn't be an issue.

Upon a driver upgrade (Atheros 5007EG adapter), the signal strength dropped to -95dbm. Perhaps the old driver was reporting the signal strength higher. Upon constant monitoring, I also discovered another non-broadcasting AP at the same channel that suddenly increases it signal strength from -96dbm to -50dbm (in 10min cycles), interferring with my weak connection to the router.

I guess this interference is the cause of my problems.

My question is..

What is causing that non-broadcasting signal strength to suddenly increase its signal strength?
    According to the tool I'm using, it is a D-Link AP. If I remember sometime ago, D-link which used Atheros Chips was charged with interferring with Broadcomm devices because of a special turbo feature. Would this be the possible cause?

Would changing my office AP channel from channel 6 to say channel 11 or channel 1 prevent interference from the other AP?

Thanks..
    Last edited by dexmax; 06-11-2010 at 09:47 PM.