Thread: themed32.dll

themed32.dll

(Using Windows XP, airva free protection, internet explorer browser, willl provide more detailed info if i can find it)
    Tonight i found my windows firewall switched off. I switched it back on again and it found 2 threats. One was healed, one was inaccessible. Both occured in a similar area being system32, etc, it was called Trojan Horse Generic 18.exe. After that my AVG software did a scan and found the same thing. I used malware bytes to search for any otheer viruses. It found 17 of them and showed a list of all those it had quarentined and healed, however some showed a message saying something like delete on restart or something similar. Anyway I restarted the system and then this pop up appeared saying something like themed.dll not found, it is recomended that you reinstall it. I pressed ok and it kept coming up all the way through the welcome screan. Then windows would only showmy wallpaper and this popup. Would not do ANYTHING else including the start bar at the bottom. Was it not a virus but a needed thing? How can I get my laptop to open up properly again, i can not even (with my knowledge of computes) reinstall what it wants if i wanted to. Had a brief try in safemode, no dice.

If you cannot access the desktop in Safe Mode or Normal Mode then you can try System Restore.

How do I start the System Restore from the Command Prompt?

BTW, you mention scanning with both Avira and AVG which are two different AV programs and they don't like being on the same pc. Can you please clarify?

run your malware bytes in safe mode, as rocketmech stated, av programs dont play nice together. I like avg myself, but have never used avira, so what ever you like. you could also try an online scan just to see what they come up with?