Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing windows 7

Installing windows 7

Hi folks,

In the next couple weeks I’m planning to install Windows 7 ultimate in my computer and I’m trying to figure out what’s the best way to install it.

I’m thinking of purchasing a SATA 500 to 800 GB hard drive, 7200 RPM 32 MB cache internal HD and installing Windows 7 on it. Then, I was planning to copy all my files from my old HD. Any recommendations on HDs?

I would to read any article that may tell me about problems that I may encounter pre and during installation.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Montevideano

installing window 7 on a SATA HD

Actually I was asking for folks to refer me to some good articles on installing Windows 7 on a new SATA hard drive. I have read that folks had problems installing windows 7 on a SATA HD.
    I'm not sure if folks had problems when they tried to installed in a used HD.

Any advice will be welcome.

Montevideano

Not sure what problems you are referring to. I got Win7 Ultimate to install just fine.

16 or 32MB cache doesn't make that much difference. A budget would help. If you want real speed, get an SSD, but they are pricey.

Some older motherboards need to have the sata driver available on a floppy for Windows to run setup. Most newer systems don't. I had difficulty with a NF3 Ultra motherboard with the Windows beta, I gave up and installed it to another pc instead.
    I recommend using Windows 7 Upgrade, you can upgrade from Vista or clean install from any previous Windows, and save a few bucks in the process.
    There are zillion links available on how to install Windows 7 (see Google) . But I prefer Microsoft's take best , http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ling-Windows-7

installing Windows 7 on a new SATA drive

Midknyte:

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Regarding the drive, budget may be an issue since a nice size SSD run around $700. Not at this time. I want to buy 4 more Gb of memory. I can purchase for less than $100 a decent HD and another $100 for the memory.

You stated that 16 or 32MB cache doesn't make that much difference. Does it make any difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM?

Thanks,

Montevideano

Spindle speed makes a noticeable difference. Go 7200RPM at least.

I was looking at 7200 RPM but I saw lots of 5400 RPMs. Thanks,

Montevideano

Rocketmech,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have a fairly new motherboard: Gibabyte MA785GM-US2H, made in June 2009, with a AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor. Hopefully I wont need put the SATA driver on a floppy.

Thank you for the link to Microsoft.

Before I do anything I need to uninstall a bunch of software and back up all my data. That will take some time.

Thanks,

Montevideano

No need to uninstall anything.
    Just backup what you want onto another drive or partition, then install Win7. You can format the hard drive during the Win7 install, before you tell it where to install. Should have an option to delete the partition, then create a partition.

Imperion1,

Thank you very much for your response.

I just purchased a new Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. It should arrive in a couple days.

I probably need to uninstall programs such as Photoshop CS since it won't let me reinstall it unless I have uninstall it first.

Then I plan to install Windows 7 on my new drive and use my old SATA drive to keep all my data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Montevideano

Hello folks. I'm interested in Windows 7 but I'd like to know what the general consensus about it. Have any of you had it up and running long enough to form a good/bad opinion?
    Are there any special points about installing over Vists? e.g. DON'T? or must I install on a new formatted HDD? Big question.
    I have come to terms with Vista now but it's still a bit buggy and I'm hoping 7 will be a lot better.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

I have been using Windows 7 for a year now and it's quite good. I haven't seen any bugs, but as you know, I am quite careful about how I treat my PCs.

Upgrading from Vista is easy as pie. It's the only upgrade that's supported. Any other installation is a clean one.

You would find that Windows 7 is a bit faster given the same amount of RAM used in Vista. All in all, it's a fine upgrade Doc. Keep in mind that the time required to perform the upgrade will test your patience. Whatever you do, don't bail out.

As always, it's best to back up your system before upgrading. One never knows...
    MS MCP, MCSE

OK Bill, direct and to the point as ever.
    I take note of what you say and I'll start to backup all my good stuff (data files etc.) and I promise you I will be a patient octopus (genarian)

Where would I be without this forum and all you brilliant advisors? In an old folks home I expect.

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

I suspect that you will never see an old folks home as an inmate, Doc. You are far too active for that.

As you say, I am very direct. I will end up in either a nuthouse or prison. That's fine though because both provide "three squares and a bunk".
    MS MCP, MCSE

Just remember, you can't upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Win7 64-bit. It will do 64-bit to 64-bit upgrade, no problems.