Thread: Awww...shoot!!! (router problems)

Intimate Member

Awww...shoot!!! (router problems)

Bought a used Linksys WRT54G and Westell DSL modem to configure a wireless system for my cousin next door.

The both arrived today, and was necessary to upgrade the Westel firmware...it was old and did not support PPPoE and Bridged...it does now.

I have no problem opening the Westell for configuration...but cannot remember how to open the Linksys router!!

I did reset it...power on, for maybe 30 seconds. But all attempts to access the setup internally has failed. The Linksys has been tried connected to the modem with USB as well as ethernet...well...that didn't come out right. I have tried USB and Ethernet connections to the modem...not USB to the router.

Open a browser and add the IP http://192.168.1.1 and Internet Explorer cannot find the address...like if the modem was not connecting..

Someone slip me the procedure again please..

Rob

Did you verify that the router was working before you bought it?

Did you set a static IP like 192.168.1.200, then try to ping the router? it could be a problem with the DHCP.

Intimate Member
    Did you verify that the router was working before you bought it?

Did you set a static IP like 192.168.1.200, then try to ping the router? it could be a problem with the DHCP.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No I didn't Midknyte...My knowledge of configuring DSL modems and/or routers is very limited.

I can set the modem to bridged and then connect the modem to the router, but nothing works.. I cannot get into it to revise any names or passwords The modem works fine when connected to a USB or to the Ethernet adapter.

I'll have to continue this tomorrow...but, I think I may have bought a broke router...the power LED and the little Cisco Systems meter window are not lit, neither is the DMZ nor WLAN LEDs. the 4 LEDs indicating Ethernet cables are plugged in are lit, plus one more to the right "Internet" is lit...5 in all.

In Network connections, the only thing that shows connected is the modem. Th router says "Network cable unplugged".

Thanks Rob

Intimate Member
    It has been a painfully long day.

3 routers here, and I cannot re configure any. I did manage to get this one I just bought to respond to the access address, but when I attempted to open it, I got a 404 error screen...from the router... I did a reset, now it does not respond

I then retried my original with the DD-WRT upgrade...it allows access, but does not show the network to any client...so...I did a reset on that one...now, I cannot remember some of the settings.

In a moment of desperation, I connected up the old Linksys B...I had it working once upon a time...I thought.... now it shows connected...but the browser will not access the net.

The modem is in PPPoE mode and so is the old router...is that right?...see screednshot.

Right now, I need (1) someone here that knows what to do, or (2) put the whole 9 yards in the trash!

In the screenshot, it asks for the host name and the domain name (bellsouth)?
    Last edited by Bovon; 06-30-2010 at 02:51 PM.