Thread: TR/2ndThought.AA.2

Intimate Member

TR/2ndThought.AA.2

Trojan

Or at least that is what Avira indicates.

This popped up either during or soon after setting up Comodo, which is a firewall and Antivirus application plus something called 'HopSurf'

Googled the name of the 'trojan' and found the following:

http://forums.comodo.com/install-set...-t53484.0.html

Looking through Avira, I see where it has been quarenteened several times and is in C:\Windows\Temp. That Temp folder will not open. Googling CB261.tmp comes back with nothing.

TR/2ndThought.AA.2 trojan

File name CB261.tmp

C:\WINDOWS\Temp is not accessible

Access is denied

That Temp folder (C:\Windows\Temp) should definitely be accessible. If it isn't, the PC is compromised. Have you browsed to that folder?

The particular temp file (CB261.tmp) is unique to each machine. Consequently, Googling it won't get a result that means anything.

My guess is that this is a false positive despite the fact that you cannot get into the Temp folder. If you wish to empty it, use CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    MS MCP, MCSE

Intimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post

My guess is that this is a false positive despite the fact that you cannot get into the Temp folder. If you wish to empty it, use CCleaner:
    Hello Bill..

That is what someone at the Comodo forum said, that it is a false positive, but how to be certain?.. I don't want to kill a file that is supposed to be there.

That is one of the blessings of running a dual boot machine...boot into the other OS, then using windows explorer etc., you can open the folder and delete anything you want to.... I just could not get Win2k to work on this larger drive...so, I only have the XP OS.

Thanks for the feedback...

Any file that's in the Temp folder is disposable by nature, Bovon. You need not fear deleting it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Intimate Member
    Ok....today, this machine would not boot...it reached a point where all was detected and then should have received the 1st Windows loading splash screen...just sat there.

Rebooted and got to Windows desktop...for maybe a minute, the screen went dark...computer was on, but no signal to the monitor....rebooted, same thing.

Disconnected all USB and Ethernet cables etc. which allowed me to boot into the OS and stay there.

Uninstalled the 3 parts of Comodo and rebooted...booted good...no problems.

I can now access the Windows\Temp folder...lotsa files there, but not the one that had been reported, i.e. CB261.tmp

Think I will retry ZA...if I can find the Free version until I can purchase a copy...followed the link posted in the Antivirus, AntiSpyware, Browser, and Firewall Programs but must have overlooked the freebie (oops....went and looked again...found it).

Thanks...Rob

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Intimate Member
    Thanks Train... I will book mark that page..(or, download and copy them to a CD).

Actually, I already have couple of those..and purchased the ZA called Zone Alarm Plus...which lasted only 3 to 6 months...and ZA cancelled that one with the offer of a free upgrade to ZA Pro.

Downloaded ZA Pro, but never could get the "promotion" to work...so, I just continued to use ZA Plus..ZA did not answer my emails concerning this...figured I had just "been had"!!

I will install the newer ZA freebie and then maybe purchase the pro version....after 10 or so years, ZA seems to have helped keep my system working (with a few minor bugs...mostly kiddie ****.)

Ta-ta...Rob

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Glad to hear someone has had good luck with ZA. I gave up on them years ago.

Another site like the one I listed above.
    http://www.oldapps.com/

Handy to know them.
    Last edited by Train; 05-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Intimate Member
    I did have pretty good luck with ZA, but there were a couple of bugs that slipped by.

I am not too happy with this new freebie ZA...the interface has nowhere near the info the older ones had...plus control...still get the popup asking if I want to allow something access...which is the same, but in the old ones...I could go to the menu and reblock it if I needed to.

Do not find that option in this app.