Thread: Router Connects, no network

Intimate Member

Router Connects, no network

Linksys PCI Adapter arrived from Newegg, installed and connected modem to ethernet cable, booted and connected to the net.

Shut down and connected the router, booted and changed the modem to bridged, All went well, the system connects just fine, but my network is not found by my laptop.

Tried to recreate the network, but found that it is still "created" working on channel 6. (I may have erred there..and got that channel 6 info from the laptop).

Made several attempts to get the laptop to find the 'robert network', but the laptop comes back with "no wireless networks were found in range".

I cannot locate a way to see if the network is still there and should be working.

Had to close Comodo because the LAN connection shows 'connected firewalled'. Now, I cannot turn Windows firewall off. Also, Comodo or Avira appears to be running a check...but I cannot prove that.

What to try next?....mainly need to know if the wireless networking from the router is dead.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bovon; 06-30-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Did you disable SSID broadcast? If so, then you won't see the wifi network listed.

If all else fails, reset the router to the default settings (usually by holding the reset button for 20-30secs).

Intimate Member
    Did you disable SSID broadcast?
    No, this is the way I found the network when the folks next door said they could not connect to the network. I took the router out of the system because I could not get to the net at all....now, the new adapter has allowed that part to work...all seems ok now, except the network...see the attached screenshot...especially where it says "Xmit ----- 100 mw ------ inactive[/quote]

If all else fails, reset the router to the default settings (usually by holding the reset button for 20-30secs).
    Some directions will help a lot Midknyte....is this within the router software?

Reset button? on this keyboard?, or somewhere in the router setup? This DD WRT software has more tabs than Carter had "little liver pills".
    Last edited by Bovon; 06-30-2010 at 02:51 PM.

I'm guessing that the laptop can see other wireless networks, just not your "robert" SSID.

is this within the router software?
    No. It's a physical button on the back of the router. Your pictures say WRT54GL.

This DD WRT software has more tabs than Carter had "little liver pills".
    That's also why I run Tomato instead of DDWRT. It's a much leaner interface.

Intimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I'm guessing that the laptop can see other wireless networks, just not your "robert" SSID.

No. It's a physical button on the back of the router. Your pictures say WRT54GL..
    Ahhhhh sooooo...now I remember that reset button...thanks.

No, we live in the boonies...no other wireless networks around here...unless it may be aged folks who had a machine setup for them...certainly no "gurus" around his neck of the woods!

That's also why I run Tomato instead of DDWRT. It's a much leaner interface.
    I understand....I think... I have read posts by several users who had tried DD-WRT and then went with Tomato.

I will look into this tomorrow and report back...eyes shot for today....Thanks!!

Rob