Thread: No HDMI AUDIO

No HDMI AUDIO

I built a basic Win 7 Ult media center PC and am all set up except for audio. I went through the bios with a fine toothed comb and have all the latest ATI Catalystâ„¢ drivers installed as well.

My motherboard is a ASUS M2A-VM HDMI and I am using the included HDMI adapter called the ASUS HDMI/AV/S/SP (see http://bak2.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/200705/24/293/2.jpg for reference). The HDMI video works fine and I have a SPDIF cable properly connected from the mobo to the card port.

My first question: Is this add on card only functional for HDMI Video (using separate cable for SPDIF audio) or am I supposed to actually get BOTH audio-video from the HDMI?

In my sound, it lists an ATI HDMI Output as an ATI High Definition Audio Device which says "not plugged in" which is baffling since I wouldn't get video either if the HDMI cable wasn't in. I COULD get a SPDIF cable as a backup plan, but I'd prefer the better quality and convenience of just the one HDMI cable. Anyone know what I can do to get this working? Thanks!

Yep your going to need 2 seperate HDMI cables.

HDMI Audio

I assume you mean High Definition in general and not two HDMI cables as there is only room for one. I can do one HDMI cable (currently installed with video only) and one SPDIF cable for audio. Alternatively I can buy a new Creative labs audio card with optical out.

Still, all audio options seem to imply I SHOULD be able to get audio out of the HDMI... anyone?

What are you using for a monitor?

If you are using one with Speakers or a LCD TV then you should be getting audio.

If you are using regular speakers then you will need to use the yellow jacks to plug in the speakers.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Zillion, does your sound device show up in Device Manager? I am amazed that you have the same mobo as me and i have no audio either. Problem is that mine does not show in device manager no matter what I do. Do you recall anything special you had to do in the BIOS?

I had this mobo running for years on XP without anything like this popping up, I am just flabbergasted!
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Thanks for the replies! Ankerson, I have a HDMI (1.3) cable running from the ASUS HDMI/AV/S/SP device to my Denon receiver, and then another HDMI (1.3) cable going from the Denon to my Samsung LED TV. The Denon outputs sound to two medium size LT/RT home theater speakers (no surround, just 2.0) and the Samsung is just for picture.
    All other devices are set up properly and work like a charm.

Online I have found that there are LOTS of problems with HDMI audio on HTPCs, and many people w. the problems have ASUS gear. I have yet to find a website that has a clear solution either.

Tonyman, There are two settings I believe in BIOS for HDMI audio that must be set. Be sure to set those to "enabled." Yes, my Device Manager looks good as far THOSE devices showing up (though another completely unrelated device may stump you for ages.. it is a ACPI driver- THAT one took me a while to figure out- let me know if you need help... a utility can be had from MSI's site called "AMD AWAY")

Thanks zillion. I do see an unknown device that says "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system and will go down that trail.

Hope you get yours solved soon!
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

I recall having to download the ATI HDMI Audio Device driver from the Realtek site to get audio going on an ATI HDMI device. That board definitely requires Realtek drivers.
    http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false
    You will have to agree with a couple of things before they let you on to this page.

Quote Originally Posted by zillion View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Ankerson, I have a HDMI (1.3) cable running from the ASUS HDMI/AV/S/SP device to my Denon receiver, and then another HDMI (1.3) cable going from the Denon to my Samsung LED TV. The Denon outputs sound to two medium size LT/RT home theater speakers (no surround, just 2.0) and the Samsung is just for picture.
    All other devices are set up properly and work like a charm.

Online I have found that there are LOTS of problems with HDMI audio on HTPCs, and many people w. the problems have ASUS gear. I have yet to find a website that has a clear solution either.

Tonyman, There are two settings I believe in BIOS for HDMI audio that must be set. Be sure to set those to "enabled." Yes, my Device Manager looks good as far THOSE devices showing up (though another completely unrelated device may stump you for ages.. it is a ACPI driver- THAT one took me a while to figure out- let me know if you need help... a utility can be had from MSI's site called "AMD AWAY")
    Have you tried running just one HDMI cable to your TV alone to see if you can get sound using the TV speakers?
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Status Update

Ok, so the strangest thing happened. I tried plugging in directly to the Samsung TV with HDMI and no sound (tested with Youtube). I noticed the HDMI audio device now was not saying it wasn't plugged in and I saw the volume meter dancing so it was a good sign. I disabled the HDMI audio device and it switched the default device. I then re-enabled the HDMI one and presto! Sound.

SO I got sound when plugged directly to the TV, but now I still can't get it when plugged into the Denon. Is this some new Windows 7 copy protection type thing since I am going through a "middle man?"? I feel good I finally made some progress so if anyone has any more ideas to get the sound going on the receiver that would be great. Thanks!!

One other bit of info- I thought maybe the Denon had a bad HDMI port but the ports seem ok. I tested them with other devices and they are ok. Plus I tried temporarily swapping with my Bluray player whose port I know is working well. No dice.

Quote Originally Posted by zillion View Post
    Ok, so the strangest thing happened. I tried plugging in directly to the Samsung TV with HDMI and no sound (tested with Youtube). I noticed the HDMI audio device now was not saying it wasn't plugged in and I saw the volume meter dancing so it was a good sign. I disabled the HDMI audio device and it switched the default device. I then re-enabled the HDMI one and presto! Sound.

SO I got sound when plugged directly to the TV, but now I still can't get it when plugged into the Denon. Is this some new Windows 7 copy protection type thing since I am going through a "middle man?"? I feel good I finally made some progress so if anyone has any more ideas to get the sound going on the receiver that would be great. Thanks!!

Now you know it works so I believe it's a problem with the reciever not your Computer or TV.