Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comp not looking healthy... advice/help?

Comp not looking healthy... advice/help?

OK have a year old Intel I am usually an AMD guy. Not to tech savvy build gaming rigs. SO im running windows XP its a dual core 3g with 4gig ram and a 512 video card nvidia. I had a problem just a day ago with the machine i am using now. its had like a boot file error. like (boot.irc) or boot..... something with 3 letters. it wasnt dll. In any event i don't keep much of value on comp, mostly games so i reformatted whole harddrive re installed windows. Also opened it up and took out enough dust to kill a grown man if inhaled. Now im noticing with my games Star craft 2 beta and WoW wow runs a little slow and SC2 beta i cant even get to match screen.... Is my graphics card over heated and damaged? Thats all i can think of. My room is just so **** dusty and i know intels get hotter then amds. What our your words of advice on what i should do next? Building a new rig is out of question for now. Would like to get the games back up and running. new graph card? new ram? ... anything i can check?

Did you install the chipset/video/usb etc drivers after you installed Windows?

All drivers are installed. I just bought a new graph card slapped that in, blue screened a lot, till i started in safe mode then installed drivers. Going to try and run a game with new graph card see if that does anything. If not i have new ram chips as well, and if they dont work then i guess i get a new system? Never had a system iv had to reformat befor i blame myself cheating on AMD with stupid intel

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you uninstall the old video card drivers before shutting down and installing the new card?
    Not doing so can cause what you had to happen.

Intel Core 2 CPUs generally run cooler than AMDs, so that's not it. Don't kick yourself - Intel setups are just fine.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Well game still running slowly. Going to try new ram chips now tell ya how that works out.

New RAM is *not* going to make it run faster.
    MS MCP, MCSE

HA guess your right... Well i don't know what else to do .. the games ran fine before. System has been working fine up untill just a week ago. What next?

I have no real idea. Normally, CPUs don't go bad. The motherboard generally wouldn't make games go slower. Is thew power supply still gunked up with dust?
    MS MCP, MCSE

A system could reset to lower settings to protect itself. So, you should verify your processor and ram are running at the correct speed. You can view it from the CMOS (bios) , during POST screen (press Pause) or use CPU-z. You'll need to know what your speeds should be of coarse.

Do the games run slow in multiplayer(online), singleplayer(offline) or both ?

I blew all the dust out of everywhere. Ill try the CPU in bios and see what that brings up its a dual core 3gh. so ill see what that brings up. I really hope that s what it did. SC2 is still un playable and WoW is horribly lagged and both games before this issue ran perfect all on ultra high settings. Brb after i play with the bios again tell you my findings and test runs.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ok the BIOS is a little over my head i looked through it but really couldn't figure out what i wanted to be messing with. Is there a down loadable program that will update ALL drivers... One that i don't have to register / pay for? Im just wondering if im missing one driver thats messing up the whole process. At this point i feel im just grabbing in the dark for anything but figure its worth a try.

Could one of the cores be burnt out? i noticed in bios it only shows one CPU and on the G15 keyboard which usually shows how both CPUs are running it only shows 1 and the ram (g15 keyboard has a little lcd display)... So is one of the CPUs off? if so how would i turn that back on???

Could be. It would be odd. Usually, the BIOS detects both cores and runs them automatically. Maybe you should reset (clear CMOS). Check the motherboard manual for the method.
    MS MCP, MCSE

OK i found manual going to clear cmos see how we do there.