Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opening new computer shop

Opening new computer shop

After several years of operating out of my home I've bitten the bullet and have opened a brick and mortor computer repair shop. I'm working on setting prices and advertising but does anyone have any advice or can point me to resources on running a computer repair shop.

Thanks
    Dwight

WOW. Hope you don't go under before learning what you need to know

Programs and services to help you start, grow and succeed
    http://www.sba.gov/

Congrats!

i'm still operating out of my own home, it's too expensive to afford a store and a little helper.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

You are going to have to do some retailing, if only for parts, so you are going to want a decent point of sale system to be able to process payment quickly. Price out everything as soon as it comes in so you don't have to be looking up your costs when you are making a sale or a quote. Security is also a constant concern when you have a shop full of laptops. Keep track of all laptop serial numbers, new or used, and include them on the bill of sale. I have had customers come back asking for them because their laptop was stolen.

...and have a lawyer draw up a disclaimer for data loss ASAP. Once you have a store, inventory and insurance, you become a target for frivolous lawsuits. Guarantee hardware only - do *not* guarantee personal data, the OS or any other software.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Even a disclaimer is far from fool proof.

If I drop my pc off for you to install a new video card - I have a reasonable expectation that my PRICELESS Novel I've been writting for 20 years will be there when I pick the machine up.

As was said a disclaimer that you are not responsible for any data loss and have them sign it when they drop off the computer.

It's the customers responsibility to backup their own data etc.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Guess you haven't met my attorney

Can you think of a reason why replacing a video card would result in my book I worked on for years to disappear?

What else does your little piece of paper allow you to get away with?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Guess you haven't met my attorney

Can you think of a reason why replacing a video card would result in my book I worked on for years to disappear?

What else does your little piece of paper allow you to get away with?

It protect the Guy from the customers.

I can't even count how many times I have seen people bring in machines with all kinds of problems they didn't tell us about......

I use to make the customer start up the machine and check before they left, laptops and desktops.....

Same with in the customers house, I would make them boot it up and check etc before I even touched it...

The biggest thing is don't trust anyone period and all customers lie.....
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

AGREED that customers lie.

On the other hand - not all techs are created equal. Nuke n Pave will cure all problems.

And there's the part where you and I have seen many threads-> HELP, the computer tech told me he needed to format the drive and install Windows. He didn't say a thing about me losing my data.

AGREED that customers lie.

On the other hand - not all techs are created equal. Nuke n Pave will cure all problems.

And there's the part where you and I have seen many threads-> HELP, the computer tech told me he needed to format the drive and install Windows. He didn't say a thing about me losing my data.
    Oh we have seen that a lot. LOL

I have just been down that road way too many times that I won't even touch anyone elses computer anyone....

I told myself long ago:

NEVER AGAIN....

I don't have the temperament to put up with them anymore....

DITTO.

First pc I ever built for friend I made a 100 bucks and had visions of doing it many more times. Six trips to his house to fix user related issues cost me more then the 100 bucks. (2 kids under age 12 using the pc)

Another time I built a pc while I was on vacation and bored.....Sold it 4 months later for a loss to a Good Friend. I screwed up by NOT saying "as is." Darn 25 dollar cd drive died a year later and I didn't want to replace it and he didn't feel he should have to buy a new one. Lucky me drew his name in the group Xmas present drawing so it ended up working out.

DITTO.

First pc I ever built for friend I made a 100 bucks and had visions of doing it many more times. Six trips to his house to fix user related issues cost me more then the 100 bucks. (2 kids under age 12 using the pc)

Another time I built a pc while I was on vacation and bored.....Sold it 4 months later for a loss to a Good Friend. I screwed up by NOT saying "as is." Darn 25 dollar cd drive died a year later and I didn't want to replace it and he didn't feel he should have to buy a new one. Lucky me drew his name in the group Xmas present drawing so it ended up working out.

I hear you...

Been there and got the T-Shirt too.....

There is always more problems from the IDIOT between the keyboard and chair.

That's why I loved contract work setting up systems, no customers, in and out quick...

The customers are the worst part of it with all the BS, if it wasn't for them it would be great.

I just tell people I don't have computer problems because I really don't....

I quit building PCs for people for the very reason of...hey, you can buy one from Dell, HP, etc. and have one place to call for any kind of warranty or issue.

If they deem it's a software problem...I charge X per hour to fix it. I can charge you X per hour to sit at your house while scans run and I twiddle my thumbs or I can bring your laptop/desktop home and scan it there for a fraction of the price.

Clear communication is the key. Just because something is rudimentary and simple to you, doesn't mean it is for them. They called you...remember?

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say all customers lie...but I will say most, if not all...fall under the "oh, I forgot to tell you about.." category.

Yeah, that would've been nice to know before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to say all customers lie...but I will say most, if not all...fall under the "oh, I forgot to tell you about.." category.

In other words they all lie.