Thread: Windows installer XP

Windows installer XP

Hi All,

Thought I would ask here before hiring a tech to fix this. I am having issues with the windows installer running everytime I launch IE or any microsoft program like word, excel or live meeting. Other programs like adobe reader and other programs non microsoft related work just fine.

Windows installer launches then closes after about 2min. But the programs will not launch. IE does open and I can surf but links in web pages also have this problem at times.

Windows XP SP3. I have tried some of the fixes on the microsoft help site but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

attila003

I have tried some of the fixes on the microsoft help site but no luck.
    Please specify what you tried.

Did you try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

What antivirus/antispyware are you running?

I have tried the first 4 methods on this site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

They seemed the easiest to start with. The others might be more than I know how to do. I am running Microsoft security essentials. Yes I have tried the clean up utility and Uninstalled and reinstalled the windows installer.

Attila003

You should be able to try fix 5, 7 and 11. Some require extra support.

Are you sure the system is clean? It could very well be a virus/spyware problem.

Did you try a system restore to a previous point?

I don't think it is a virus/spyware problem. More information on this issue. I installed microsoft security essentials and it was accessing my CPU for 50 plus % all the time. So I called into microsoft support and they fixed that issue. But since the tech's have been done with that, that is when my windows installer started acting up. I tried to have the security essentials tech fix this but they have called it off as they are not trained on this issue. They told me to call XP support and explain my issue. I did but they want to charge me a fee which I don't feel is right since their tech caused this issue. Anyway. Now Im stuck unless I pay up as I don't currently have a tech support program in place.

I will try some of the other methods on the support page and see if I can get this resolved. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

attila003