Thread: Login Issues Win7 Pro

Login Issues Win7 Pro

I have two machines (a laptop and desktop) both running windows 7 pro, both in the same domain, both require ctrl-alt-delete to login

When i press ctrl-alt-delete on my desktop, it shows me my user id and just asks for a password.

When i do the same on my laptop, instead of just asking me for my password, i have to use the mouse to click on my user id and then type my password.

I have been through gpedit.msc and secpol.msc on both machines looking at some items i found on line, but don't see where there are any differences....

I thought it might be related to what they called in xp "fast user switching", but i am unable to determine what is causing the difference in login routines...

What is even worse, is that i connect to my laptop via terminal services most of the time when i am in the office, and after rdp client asks me for my password i again have to click on my user icon and type my password again. The reverse is not true when connecting via rdp to the desktop....

Can anyone help me? This is really driving me mad... i have a feeling it is something simple, but just can not for the life of me find it...

Thanks in advance....
    Bill

Windows 7 and Vista are very similar in this regard. Here is a page with info and links to similar fixes:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/89...ord.html?ltr=L

Another possibility to look into is "disable Welcome screen" in Windows 7.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for the Link Bill...

I had already been there and tried those suggestoins. After applying the registry fix, i still have to click on the "other account" in order to get the user id and password login screen.

When I tried following this advice (found some where via your link):

- Click on Start and select Control Panel.
    - In Control Panel, select User Accounts.
    - Click on the link that says "Change the way users log on or off."
    - Disable the checkbox next to "Use the Welcome Screen."
    - Click Apply Options.

I don't have the option available to "Use the Welcome Screen." I don't know if it has been hidden with a 'registry fix' or what, but this is really driving me nuts...

Yeah - the GPEDIT fix "Always use classic logon" doesn't work for PCs on a domain. I don't see any other options in GPEDIT or in User Accounts.

I'm stumped.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Its a brand new laptop, maybe i should take it out of the domain to correct the settings and then add it back to the domain?

Another thing that is interesting is that it will not allow me to save my credentials when logging on to this laptop via terminal server. I am thinking this is related to the other issue, but i am not sure.

I had another laptop with win7 on it and did not have any login issues like this (same domain, same desktop)...

Well, I have called and setup a ticket with the Manufacturer of the Laptop due to the operating system being OEM. Have not herd back from them yet. Will let you know when I do. I am assuming this will need to go through microsoft....

Quote Originally Posted by wja777 View Post
    Its a brand new laptop, maybe i should take it out of the domain to correct the settings and then add it back to the domain?
    I take it that this method failed?

Yup - this will be a Microsoft fix.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    I take it that this method failed?

Yup - this will be a Microsoft fix.
    I actually re-imaged the machine to the out of box status and poured over the settings trying to find where I could change this before adding to the domain with no luck....

Just got off the phone with Level 3 support with Toshiba, Nice guy but clueless as far as this issue goes... He is going back to his internal people and "will get back to me"... I can't call MS directly (as i would like) because the os is OEM and they want to charge me for support...

It just seems like there should be a setting somewhere to correct this...

Thanks for your help Bill... I'll try to keep you posted on the saga...

Well Bill, I finally got it figured out. What a pain... The finger print utility software for the fingerprint reader loads the trusted platform module (TPM). I had checked in bios to make sure hardware TPM was disable, but never thought there was a software side to it. Anyway, once i uninstalled the finger print software, the issue i was having signing in went away....

But as with all things microsoft and toshibia, one solution lead to another problem. Now my finger print reader does not work. Yellow ! next to an unknown device in device manager after uninstallation of the utility software. It seems that toshiba has imbeded the driver for the device in the utility software install. In order to install the device driver i have to install the entire finger print reader software package which of course includes the tpm software which leads back to problem #1....

I have looked (but not that hard) for an independent driver from the hardware manufacturer. I'll get there eventually, and will be leaving the software uninstalled....

Win7 has some nice built in finger print reader abilities.... Never can figure out why some manufacturers seem to want to put their stamp on everything...

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful suggestions....

wja....
    Last edited by wja777; 04-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.

It's a step in the right direction anyway. Nice find on the biometric scanner!
    MS MCP, MCSE