Thread: Stop and Start

Stop and Start

I have a computer that is running XP Pro. Recently the computer has been acting really strange. When I open either Act or Outlook the computer usually crashes. Now its at the point where once Windows loads completely the computer freezes up randomly but then unfreezes. It will freeze up for a few seconds or a few minutes then it releases. I am having a hard time getting into Explorer or the My Computer. Does anyone have any suggestions into what might cause this behavior on my computer?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
    Bob

Could be software or hardware.

Did you run a hard drive diag yet? Either download the diag software from the manufacturer's site or get UBCD from the link in my signature. Use the bootable disc option, NOT the Windows software.

I did not run any hard disk diag. I will do that now with what you recommended. It is just acting so weird. It takes an unbelieveable amount of time to boot. And once it is in Windows it is still very limited on what I can and can't do. I am not able to use Explorer and look at any of my Hard Drives. Once I open it up, it basically freezes. I can use Internet Explorer with no problems. I can not access the start menu. About the only messages I have actually gotten from the computer are one about not being able to write to the T: drive so I disconnected it. The other is when I restart the computer wants to run a Chkdsk on the D: drive, but it never runs all the way through. It gets into the second step and freezes up.

Hope the extra details help.

Bob

The other is when I restart the computer wants to run a Chkdsk on the D: drive
    Even more reason to run a diag. You need to know if the hardware is good before you waste time trying to fix software issues.

run a chkdsk -f from the comand prompt

navigate to the d: drive by typing " d: "

then just type " chkdsk -F "