Thread: Fiber internet? speed assistance

Fiber internet? speed assistance

I'm ordering up Fios internet and would like some information on the install of this service. The tech mentioned that the modem comes with wireless ability so I can have desktop and laptop on the same network. Now the basic install only goes to the closest spot next to the outside jack. So the tech said I could use a USB wireless receiver on my desktop if that spot is not where my PC will be. I looked at some USB receivers and none of them matched the Fios speed of 10mb. So it sounds like I will be losing speed with the USB reciever if I can't hard line it to my desktop.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to know if there is a way to get the speed if I have to go with a USB reciever on my desktop. Or I'll have to pay to have a line ran if I want to move the spot from the basic install site. Can this be done with out a pro-tech to move the spot? I think I could do it with a little insight.

Attila003

I looked at some USB receivers and none of them matched the Fios speed of 10mb.
    What models did you look at? 802.11g should be more than enough. USB 2.0 supports a max of 480Mbps (theoretical).

Ahh. looks like this one will do fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Linksys+...&skuId=8682437

specs say 300Mbps. Im new to wireless and didn't want to have any issues with my online and online gaming.

Attila003

Wired would be best, since it isn't prone to interference like wireless is.

There are a lot of factors that affect wireless performance. If you have solid walls between the router and the PC, that will cause a degradation in speed. You'll have to assess your environment.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics
    Last edited by Midknyte; 03-10-2010 at 02:01 PM.

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.