Thread: geforce 9800 gx2 auto switching off in win 7

geforce 9800 gx2 auto switching off in win 7

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem where when i run games, my gx2 would seem to switch off automatically (my monitor says "check connection") after roughly 30 mins of gameplay. Then eventually the system will freeze forcing me to reboot my com.

My PSU is 750 watts and i've already unplugged 2 of the 3 extra hard drives i have to make sure its not a power problem, but the same thing happens.

I'm running the latest nvidia driver in windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Uninstall the driver, there is problems with the latest driver. It turns of the fan and people have had there cards killed from heat, grab the previous driver from nvidia website.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; 03-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.

The drivers i had before were roughly one month old. I downloaded it when i installed windows 7 in january. It had the same auto-switching off problem last night, that's why i upgraded to the latest driver.

But i will reinstall the older driver since the newer version sounds so nasty.

By the way, everything is at stock speeds, i haven't done any overclocking
    Last edited by snowfall; 03-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Might even try going back one or two versions older.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfall View Post
    The drivers i had before were roughly one month old. I downloaded it when i installed windows 7 in january. It had the same auto-switching off problem last night, that's why i upgraded to the latest driver.

But i will reinstall the older driver since the newer version sounds so nasty.

By the way, everything is at stock speeds, i haven't done any overclocking
    Here's a rundown on the issue with the newest driver

It is a generally known fact that, in order for any PC component, or, indeed, the entire system to run properly and at an optimum performance, the latest drivers should be used for all hardware. However, in some cases, updating a driver may prove less than favorable, sometimes even fatal, to the respective component or the entire configuration. One such situation has arisen recently, with the latest NVIDIA driver found to be causing any and all cards to suffer from serious overheating.

The latest NVIDIA driver is 196.75 and it has sparked a large number of complaints from a variety of end-users. According to them, their systems start suffering low FPS, they freeze or even lock down when playing 3D games. This includes not only graphically intensive titles like Crysis or StarCraft 2 Beta, but also older, less demanding titles such as Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft. Initially, WoW players blamed the latest patch, but the Blizzard staff identified the issue as a failing of the graphics drivers.

The Blizzard staff immediately contacted NVIDIA, which quickly responded and confirmed that it was working on the issue. In the meantime, the 196.75 driver has been removed from the official website and the GPU maker advises all consumers to revert back to the older, 196.21 version until the problem is solved.

“We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime,” NVIDIA said, IncGamers reports.

Among the more serious issues reported is the GPU going as high up as 104 degrees Celsius. This temperature does not only prevent the card from running correctly, but it can also permanently damage it and the system.

End-users may find the corresponding drivers available for download here.

Thanks for the info.

I think i've found my problem, the card was running at 85 degrees in idle and 122 after 10 minutes of Bad Company 2

I've downgraded back to 190.38. But the rebooting continues and temperature problem remains.

Will installing drivers further back help? I went from 196 to 195 to 190 etc...

Or did i just make the wrong investment in getting the gx2?

Greetz.

the graphics card is suitable. Hopefully from continually using it at those temp has not caused some type of damage to the card.

as for drivers using 196.21 wil be suitable.

keep an eye on the temps during idle and during gameplay if possible. Fingers crossed that it hasn't wrecked your card.

isn't the max temperature for a gx2 105 degrees? I mean celcius by the way

105c is a lil to warm. under load.

what sort of monitoring app you using?

personally i find CPUid's HWMonitor to be more acurate http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

use that and monitor it for awhile and take some screen shots and post 'em.

Print Screen button, open paintbrush > CTRL V > edit and upload to a image host and post.

I was using rivatuner before but they have the same result so it doesnt matter.

http://i.imagehost.org/0154/CPUID_temp.jpg

When was the last time you cleaned out your GPU heatsinks?

When I get home after work will be the first time. I bought some compressed air today. But will cleaning it drop the temp by more than 20 degrees?

It depends on how dirty/dusty/clogged the heatsinks are.

Also check the heatsink on the CPU and give that a lil spray.

if you are able to leave the side of your computer case off and see if that helps kept things a little cooler.