Thread: screen flickering

screen flickering

i have windows 7 home premium and i have recently experienced flickering on my screen. i visit sites such as msn and yahoo where graphics and videos are playing. my screen flickers when i move my mouse, the video flickers, etc.

any help?

Did you update your video drivers? If the sites use Flash, did you update to the latest version?

I'm assuming you have an LCD monitor. Make/model of hardware would help. If possible, try swapping monitors to verify that it's not a monitor problem.

i did update my drivers. it says that it has the latest.

my computer is a toshiba t115d laptop
    amd neo processor mv-40 1.6 ghz
    2ghz ram
    64-bit operating system
    ati radeon hd 3200 graphics

You should have said it was a laptop from the beginning. Try an external monitor and see if you have the same problem.

Toshiba T115D is only half of the model number. I should have something like -S1120 at the end.

How did you update your drivers? If you used Windows Update, that probably screwed it up. You should only get them from the laptop manufacturer's site.

sorry about the missing info. it is an s1120 with the t115d. i did go through the updates through windows. im not sure if installing adobe did anything to it. but its getting bad now to the point where i type and it flickers.

i have gone to the manufacturing site. i dont seem to find the drivers to update from there. is there a link im not seeing that you may see? thanks for your patience and help.

If there isn't a driver update on the Toshiba site, then you shouldn't touch video drivers. If anything, try a driver rollback for the video card in device manager.

If that doesn't work, try a system restore back to a point before you changed the video drivers.

Only do the security updates through Windows Updates, not driver updates.

What do you mean by Adobe? Do you mean Acrobat Reader?

i did restore it back..now i have a file that is running at almost 100% of my processing speed called atibtmon.exe. yes i do mean acrobat reader.

atibtmon.exe is an ATI app to check monitor brightness. If you have ATI Catalyst Control Center, see if you can disable it. Otherwise, see if it is in msconfig and uncheck it.

looking on windows web site and it mentions something about windows experience index and having it be something to do with my problem. this sucks

I highly doubt that is the case. Sounds more like a problem with the ATI CCC. If atibtmon is going nuts, I'd blame that first.