Thread: Windows 7 freezes

Windows 7 freezes

Windows 7 used to freeze after a random time. I tried to find where the problem came from and saw that when one the the services, namely power, was desactivated, everything goes fine, except for one thing: now I don't have any sound any more! I thought the freeze problem had something to do with the MB temperatures and checked that with nothing wrong there. It should not be a problem with the devices or the drivers, but with Windows 7 that has been updated. I guess it could work with the service constantly disabled, but I need the sound.I hope someone can help me out, so lots of thanks for any hint.
    Basic information: I have Windows 7 ultimate, a NVidia graphic card, a 500W power unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian67 View Post
    Basic information: I have Windows 7 ultimate, a NVidia graphic card, a 500W power unit.
    what model Nvidia card?

motherboard?

have you checked device manager to make sure there's no hardware issues?

have you updated drivers recently? installed anything new on the PC changed components on the motherboard?

It is a NVidia NForce GTX280 card and an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. Drivers are updated . Nothing has been installed and no new components added. Something in the OS is the cause, I guess.

Greetz.

When the system freezes does it start working normal after a few seconds/minutes? Or is it a total lock up requiring a hard reboot?

Hi.

Yes, it is a total freeze. I have waited a long time and it has been just the same. Had to reboot.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Video card probably overheating causes that most times.

Is the power supply big enough.
    GTX280 SLI - 345W

I was wrong, the video card is NVidia Geforce 8500. However I doubt that the problems comes from it because I upgraded the OS from Windows XP and before that, there was no crash. The PSU should be big enough with 500W. I will look into the temperature of the graphic card again just to make sure I checked correctly.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I have had to pull the video cards ato clean the fans and air channels. You may need to do the same.

Also check to make sure the Ram stick/s are properly seated in there slots.

and give device manager a once over and check to make sure there are no hardware conflicts taking place.

Soory for the delay, I had to go for the day. I have checked the fans, the ram sticks and device manager with no result. Well, I guess I should start from scratch and try a new install.
    I do not want to leave without saying thank you to you both of you.
    Have a nice day!