Thread: Dell Dimension XPS motherboard upgrade

Dell Dimension XPS motherboard upgrade

A few weeks ago, I was given a Dell computer, 19” monitor & speakers & subwoofer; it’s a Dell Dimension XPS, Service Tag: 8CBMZ21.

I like the case design, so I would like to upgrade this computer. The CPU is 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.

Looking to upgrade to the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz. My question is will the Intel Core 2 run on the Dell Motherboard? The Chipset is the Intel i875PE.

Or do you think I am wasting my time with this computer?
    Also, running Windows 7. I have the Windows 7 family pack (3 licenses)

Thanks for your help.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I would upgrade the mobo , cpu, power supply and ram. P-4s are antiques now.

Although it should work as it is just fine.
    Last edited by Train; 02-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Food for thought: Sell the Dell for 50 to 125 bucks and build the computer you want...

Theres no real sense in taking apart a working machine and putting the old but good parts in a box...

If you got an OS cd with the machine - it won't work on a non Dell mobo...And odds are - a non Dell mobo won't fit in the Dell case.

Why is not good enough as is? You want the upgrade to accomplish what exactly? Are you editing / ripping HD content or just surfin the web or wanting to play games?

Jones is right. I know you like the case, but older Dell's had some proprietary elements that made them unfriendly to new parts and to my knowledge there's no way it will run a Core2 chip.

If you want to play games then your first step should be some newer, faster RAM and a decent graphics card. Hopefully that computer is PCI-E not AGP based. And take a stab at overclocking it. With decent cooling, those P4's weren't bad.