Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outlook and router - won't completly close

Outlook and router - won't completly close

OK, don't know if this qualifies as a router/network question or an Outlook question, so move the thread as necessary.

XP Sp3 with Office 03. Single machine, recently installed Cisco/Linksys WRT120N router to hook up my Blu-Ray player for BDLive.

Now when I fire up Outlook, it will only close via File>Exit, not when using the red X, AND I have to hit File>Exit twice for it to completely close otherwise it just minimizes itself to the task tray. It didn't do this before the router.

So, what's next? What do I change to get it to shut down on the first shot?
    Reality is just a crutch for those who can't understand science fiction.

That is an all time weird one.

If you bypass the router does the problem go away?

The router should not be interfering with your desktop stuff.

Try backing up your .pst in outlook etc, then un-install and re-install your office03 suite and re-import your backup and see if that works.

Other then the new router is there any other changes taken place on the computer, new software/apps etc etc?

No system changes - installed a game or two, sorted thru graphics and video files, nothing that would affect internet or email.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
    Now when I fire up Outlook, it will only close via File>Exit, not when using the red X, AND I have to hit File>Exit twice for it to completely close otherwise it just minimizes itself to the task tray. It didn't do this before the router.

So, what's next? What do I change to get it to shut down on the first shot?
    Open up Outlook and on the system tray right click the Icon and make sure " Hide when Minimized " is unchecked.

As mentioned already, the new router would not be causing this as it has zero interaction with your desktop or programs etc.

But that's the problem - I'm not hitting "Minimize", I'm trying to close it down. Before the router, it always closed down properly.

When you click the X to close Outlook - have you sat there and clicked it 187 times..or more

I have an XP machine at the house where it seems like I have to click the X many times on most apps to get em to close.

Exclamation

But that's the problem - I'm not hitting "Minimize", I'm trying to close it down. Before the router, it always closed down properly.
    When the hide when minimized option is checked it will minimize into the sys tray even if you click the red X or via File menu > Close/exit

also on a side note out of curiosity have you updated your firewall and antivirrii and given your system a antivirus scan?

maybe you've picked up a virrii via your e-mail client from a bad attachement and it could be causing outlook to bottleneck your systems resources thus making it do strange behaviour?

other then that i still feel that you have an option in outlook that is causing it to minimize to the systray.

Ok, I follow you now. "Hide when minimized" isn't checked, so that cause is out.

As for firewall and anti-virus, I use AVG for anti-virus and just the built-in Windows Firewall. There's also Cisco Network Magic that I installed with the router and in the month plus I've had it, it hasn't detected any intruders. Trial is expired but I noticed this issue the first day the router was set up while the trial was still active. Is there something in there that's confusing Outlook that I should change or reset to make Outlook play nice again? What options should I look at in Outlook that might cause this?

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    The router should not be interfering with your desktop stuff.

Try backing up your .pst in outlook etc, then un-install and re-install your office03 suite and re-import your backup and see if that works.

Other then the new router is there any other changes taken place on the computer, new software/apps etc etc?
    Try this.
    Install SP3 and the rest of the updates, THEN import your backed up .pst.

it's not the router, as said.

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
    Try this.
    Install SP3 and the rest of the updates, THEN import your backed up .pst.

it's not the router, as said.
    XP Sp3 with Office 03. Single machine, recently installed Cisco/Linksys WRT120N router to hook up my Blu-Ray player for BDLive.

Does the OP's anti-virus scan incoming/out going e-mails? Maybe it is the scanner still scanning the .pst contents, So maybe temp disable the e-mail scanner open outlook send of a test e-mail to yourself open a few old e-mails etc etc, and then go to close outlook.. Curious how "Full" is your Inbox / Junk Box / Deleted folder/s?

also could you do the following and post back

>>Com Add-ins

1. Open Outlook and go to Tools, then Options.
    2. Click on the "Other" tab and then click on "Advanced Options."
    3. Click on the "COM Add ins" box.
    4. Make note of any add-ins that are checked, then uncheck them.
    5. Close outlook, kill the process in Task manager then open and close it
    to see if the issue is resolved.

>>Caching mode for Exchange

1. In Outlook go to Tools, Options.
    2. Click on "Mail Setup" then "Email Accounts."
    3. Highlight the Exchange server and click "Change."
    4. Uncheck the box labeled "User cached Exchange mode."

I do have AVG scanning emails. I do have a lot of old stuff filed. I'll get rid of some old stuff and try turning off email scanning.

COM add-ins - Google Desktop Outlook Bar and iTunes Outlook add-in.

Can't find anything about "Exchange mode".

Correction - Email Scanner is active in AVG but I didn't have it scanning mails. "Scan incoming" and "Scan outgoing" were both already unchecked.

Ok cut the excess from your pst file.

the com addons can be disabled also.

Once it's down to a smaller size turn the incoming scann on and give it a few test runs and let us know how that fairs.

but i would be suspecting that having a rather big .pst profiles along with the google & ipod addons scanning your profile would be boggin the system down. Throw an antivirrii scanner in the mix also and you end up with a sluggish outlook.

Went thru and killed a lot of old mailing list emails as well as emptying the Deleted Items. I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.