Thread: Power supplies

Power supplies

I'd swear that there used to be a sticky about power supplies. It guided those of us less knowledgeable when we needed to replace or upgrade a power supply. Is that sticky gone, or am I blind?

This all stems from the fact that I must replace the power supply on my daughter's Dell E510. I remember that Dell used to use way too many proprietary parts, and am concerned about picking out the right power supply. Is this going to be a problem?

Can I go to my local Frys and pick up any proper size ATX power supple? Or must I find one built specifically for the Dell E510? How closely must I match the specs of the existing power supply?

Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

The only thing I would worry about is the physical space in the case. Newer power supplies tend to be longer, depending on the brand you get. The recent Dells I've seen use standard ATX power connectors.

There is a decent PSU thread/guide on EggXert that is also helpful ...

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

FWIW,
    Fry's has the Antec Earthwatt Green models, only 4.5" deep. http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjIyNQ==

Stay away from the real cheap stuff.

I just got a new 'Antec Earthwatts' 620C power supply recently, and couldn't be more happy. Fired right up,and no issues whatsoever thus far. Very quiet to boot. That model i had to get due to a 2X 4pin 12V connectors on my MB i needed.

After my OCZ took a dive a couple of months back, along with the fact it got just too dirty inside, i'm thinking they really aren't as good as advertised. Only had it for little over a year. OMG.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I have been using my 500w Enermax Liberity's for years and they have been great.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Why you have to replace or upgrade the power supply , do you have any power issue or maybe problem is something else ?