Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strange?

Ultimate Member
    never mind, looks like that was a year prior

and Windows 7 is even easier. Most of the time you don't even have to bother with drivers, it just has them or finds them.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    and Windows 7 is even easier. Most of the time you don't even have to bother with drivers, it just has them or finds them.
    No more plug and pray

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Even so, it's not where the majority of market share is (yet). It hasn't been until recent months that Windows 7 has been made popular on netbooks, and 64 bit options are becoming popular which is a point of app breakage still (though it's fair to say, from a Windows perspective, compatibility has improved dramatically since XP).

I think one of the bigger points of slowdowns on forums in general is the fact that the Internet has become a massive archive and people are finally seeing how easy it is to come up with 300 results of how to change their password for their user accounts, so asking questions isn't really as necessary anymore. Not that there isn't the (lazy) few who don't keep asking questions answered by Google in one step, but I think that pattern for simple things is improving.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

It's pretty weird when one can find solutions to software errors for softwares that you've never heard of. And when you do this in under two minutes - you know the original poster hasn't looked

The world at your finger tips - reach out an touch someone today

I think though that you'll find Windows 7 market share will be helped along by how terrible Vista is. People will be eager to leave it behind.

I couldn't agree more if you're someone raised on the old style Windows OS'es or even just XP, but people raised into the PC world on Vista might not bother even with a free upgrade option. This implies the group of older users who never touched a computer in their life til they realized they needed the Internet mainly.

The world at your finger tips - reach out an touch someone today
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

I guess you have a point, but even those users, sooner or later, will need to reach out to somebody they know who is considerably more computer savvy. We all know that novice users invariably get themselves into trouble with their computers, and normally doesn't take all that much time either. And you know one of the first things any computer savvy person is going to say is "god, I despise vista". I can't tell you how many times I've said it, and I've never owned a machine that ran it. All my experience with it is from trying to clean up the machines of others I know.

Quote Originally Posted by porsch1909 View Post
    I still check back every now and again
    So do I. Not for any particular reason other than to say hello or such, so hello.

I generally hang out in my own (motorcycle) forum, and other forums with other members that were banned from here a bit too.

I did enjoy learning a bit about computers here, but my big learning curve was back when Compuserve was the thing, before the net made finding out things easier. I don't spend much time at all working on computers anymore, just using them, PC and Mac.

That darned edit tatletale and restrictor was definitely a decider in my finding other places to roam, as well as some other policies.
    Last edited by genesound; 02-14-2010 at 01:29 AM.
    We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.

Yep. Them darn rules about playing nice on someone ele's site get old don't they

And which ones were those?

OK... well, my motorcycle site is a sister site to one that's been around since 2003. Both sites strictly cater to just a couple of models of old Honda motorcycles, so it's a small set of possible qualifiers for membership; definitely not something everyone on the net would even be interested in, like PC computers is, and most of our members are older too. A little over 8600 members on the older site, my site has been up since July of 2007 and has 1963 members as of today. A significant number of members are registered on both sites.

Neither site has had a banning ever... not that we couldn't have justified it several times, but bannings are often not looked upon favorably by many people not involved with the banning. It's kind of like censorship. I consider the wishes and values of the membership more important in many regards than my own. That's also something that by the nature of being a corporate site that can't necessarily work.

We don't lock threads. Moderators and Admins don't ride herd on people and threaten them and we certainly don't allow moderators to berate people. When it has happened, and it's been me, I quickly make a public apology. We don't delete threads or posts, well, except I'll trim a few to make a clean informational sticky thread about something like how to post pictures. There is no cuss filter, though oddly there isn't much foul language.

We do have a "special access" area that any member with more than 10 posts can get access into, where we put stuff that isn't safe for work, gets too far out of hand for keeping a civil technical support area, is crude, political, religious, or whatnot. Most of our members elect to ask for access to it.

Skirmishes tend to work themselves out. It's likely that since many of our members are older, they just don't care to continue with them too. They tend to knit a tighter community after one is worked out.

We do have more general thread pollution than I'd like in our technical help threads, people adding zingers, the next guy topping that one, that sort of thing. But we get our questions answered most of the time, and we don't drive people off making it too strict.

I'll split off-topic, sidetracked thread pollution sometimes if it is ruining an unresolved technical issue and dump it in a different appropriate section, sometimes the special access area if it's really inflamed. Then I post enough pointers so that people that were having a time of it can find the thread and get back to it.

All in all, my site isn't that easy to compare to here. There are so many differences in what the site is here for and who is the master, the membership, the sector of society, etc., that it's really like comparing PC and motorcycles.

I have no ill will towards this place or any people here, I just moved on to something I liked more this, and ended up running a site.
    We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.