Thread: Can we use upgrade version?

Can we use upgrade version?

My son's friend has a Compaq system that came with WinXP Media Center Edition 2005 pre-installed. No CD.

The hard drive has gone bad and he wants to know how much to bring it back to life. I'm suggesting to budget about $100 for a replacement drive but I'm not sure if he can use an upgrade version of Win7 or if he has to buy a new version.

There is a product key on the Microsoft sticker on the side of the system unit. Is that all he will need to prove he had a previous version of Windows or does he need to have the WinXP cd in-hand?

There isn't an upgrade path from XP to Win7.....You'll be prompted to do a full install.

To clarify, XP is a qualifying product for upgrade to Win7, but will do a clean installation anyway. Only Vista can be upgraded directly.

Your friend must have XP actually installed *or* have the genuine XP CD to qualify for an upgrade. I know it's confusing.

Keep in mind that Microsoft has built in a "back door" way to use an upgrade DVD to do a clean installation of Win7 without the need for any qualifying product. Do a Google search for clean install Windows 7 with upgrade and you will find many sites with instructions for this technique.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The issue is cost. In the past there were two versions of the OS. A full version for installation on new PC's and an upgrade version for systems with Windows already installed. The full version cost roughly twice as much as the upgrade version.

Well, the OEM version of Windows 7 is about the same price as the upgrade. It's easier to use that.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I have never understood what an OEM version is.

Ultimate Member
    OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer .. it was intended for system builders
    or factory builds, like Dell, HP, etc ... Home builders can use it, but technically
    it is tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Microsoft frowns on, but will
    usually support moving it to a new motherboard as parts can & do die when they want.
    A retail full copy of the OS allows the user to move it to another build whenever
    and as often as you want to, hence the higher cost. They both function the same internally.

Lifetime Friend of Staff