Thread: Dell error code 0146

Dell error code 0146

I have a Dell laptop that just got into a rebooting cycle. Everytime I boot up it installs latest updates to 100% and then reboots. Running Vista Home.

I want to start over on the OS. However, when I ran a diagnostic tool within Dell's setup options it reports that I have error code 0146. DST short test failed. Something to do with the HD. When I looked up the code on a google search I came across a lot of discussion about what it means and that the drive is bad and needs to be replaced.

Digging deeper people are saying that some sectors have gone bad. Bad? I thought that is normal through out the life of a HD. I thought that it is possible to mark bad sectors as bad and continue on? I don't see why a HD drive is totally bad because of a few sectors going bad.

I have run Spinrite on the laptop. Ran a full recovery. Absolutely no errors to report.

So does anyone have any real recommendations? Other than replacing the drive?

TIA

Run the hard drive manufacturer's diag.

Well, the error doesn't specify how many sectors have gone bad or what data was in those sectors. If the head of the hard drive has bad bearings, it may be contacting the drive surface frequently and causing more damage as it's trying to move data to good sectors. Modern hard drives are made to see bad sectors and move data to safe locations during normal operation, but if the head armature is flopping around, it may be causing more damage than it can fix.

Read here:

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Check out the videos.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for the responses.

I have restored the OS and am moving forward without replace the HD.

Since I have run spinrite on the drive I can't agree that the drive is bad. Spinrite should have stumbled onto a problem after the exhaustive disk checking that it does if there were a problem with the drive. At least that's how I am looking at it.

BTW, the problem started out over time with kids installing things and so much **** on it I felt it necessary to just start over. So I just saw the Dell laptop diagnostic tool and decided to run it. It wasn't until then I saw something indicating that there is a hardware problem.

We'll see if the problem comes up during normal activity.

Thanks!!!