Thread: i7 920 problem

i7 920 problem

Hey guys, I am building a new PC and I think something happened to my i7 chip. I had a hard time seating the heatsink and fan. I ran the computer just with a video card. I just wanted to make sure it posted. Anyway, it failed the first time because the HF wasn't seated right. As far as i know, it only got around 60 to 70 degrees C. I shut it off and reinstalled the HF. It was better but still idling around 50 degrees. I removed it and saw a mark on the HF and the chip. I sanded it off the heatsink and couldn't get it off the chip. I cleaned the chip the best i could and applied artic silver I had laying around. Now its idling around 41 C. So, what is that mark on the chip? I am afraid to go scratching at the chip to get it off. The mark feels raised. Did I chip it or is it burned thermal paste. By the way, I am using the stock cooler. I have two fans running, but the sides are off. I am feeling sick right now because I may have screwed it up.
    Comp Tia A+ Certified May 04

The die is covered by a heat spreader, so your probably okay if the cpu temps are still good. If you think its paste, you can use WD40 on a tissue to clean it, then use rubbing alcohol to cleanup the WD40. Use a razor or credit card to scrape with. If the heat spreader is damaged you might consider lapping.

hmm... not sure if it helps but those high TEMP are rather normal

my i7 975 even on iddle is about 42c and normal operation about 50c, on gaming is at 60+c

using the stock cooler as well, as they are very decent IMO. specially the one that comes with the 975 Extreme
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Thanks for the advice guys. I played some fallout 3 and I didn't have any problems.
    Comp Tia A+ Certified May 04