Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

Hybrid View

Exclamation Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

Well this is probably the 9,645st thread about this topic but mine seems to be that much more difficult and weird.

So like everyone else I just bought a new computer with Vista 64bit already installed and after months of giving it a chance Im disgusted with its RAM performance especially compared to XP, and since im a 3d graphics artist this is HUGE for me and no way around it.

More specifically I have a Dell XPS630
    Dual Core 3ghz Intel Processors
    4GB RAM
    512MB SL 9800GT Nvidia GeForce Card
    Windows Vista 64bit SP2

I just bought a fresh brand new copy of Windows XP 64bit with SP2 which wasnt too cheap, and a floppy drive to boot. I also shrink volumed 200 gigs off my original 500 gig HD so i could have a Dual boot setup. The letter path has been changed to C accordingly too, so I thought I was ready...

Now ive read many of the threads relating to this big problem and have followed the steps. Im having the issue that a lot of people seem to have when I try and install my XP 64bit OS, everything is fine UNTIL i get to the "Starting Windows" prompt after all the other drivers have loaded, then BLAM Blue screen of death.

I tried locating the SATA 'autodetect' feature in the BIOS, and my BIOS doesnt offer that capability of turning it off or on, just autodetects the drive's hard drive space (500GB). So no good there.

So then I downloaded the SATA driver for my hard drive from the Dell Driver page (at least the closet to my exact model, model number for mine wasnt listed on Dell's site for SATA drivers). Then I uploaded the driver to my Floppy External Drive, ready to install in during the Windows Driver setup process by hitting F6, right?...

Well to no avail, I cant even get a response when I hit F6 when it prompts me "If you want to install a third party Raid...." The keyboard works fine, all the other F keys work, especially since I have to hit F12 to get to boot options and F2 for BIOS.

I feel like I got a curse or a bum dell machine somehow, since I cant see anyone else with my little roadblock. Never had an issue with the machine at all (had it 6months and still have warranty)

If i cant get the F6 prompt to even act at all, is there anyway to get my SATA drivers onboard so I can get XP to install?

Im getting pretty peeved at windows after 13 years of solid backing from me...

Anyone who helps me fix this issue and has a paypal account can expect $30 bucks from me for sure, thats nothing considering how this is holding up my workflow and freelance work!
    §PiÄj§

There are some reports of the XPS 630 with more than 2gb ram having problems installing XP 64, so give 2 gigs a try. If it works , then add the other ram later.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Windows XP 64bit

That was a very poorly supported OS in relation to drivers. You would have been better off to have gotten Windows 7 64 bit.

...or good old XP 32-bit.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Update:

I finally got past the BSOD after the driver installations. I formatted the partition and was ready to start copying windows files onto the fresh partition, and now Im hitting a new roadblock. I get a screen with a prompt asking for me to enter the Disk with the Nvidia RAID Drivers on it into the Floppy Drive, and it asked for the Nvidia ACHI Driver (SCSI) the second time I tried it . I cant bypass this since it only gives me the option of quitting all setup installation if it cant recognize my drivers.

Weird thing is I do have the floppy disk in when it prompts me for the drivers, ive downloaded the latest and correct drivers from Nvidias site copied the ide_sata drivers to one floppy (1mb) and the sata_raid drivers to the second floppy. None of these work when im prompted to insert the correct floppy, I just hit Enter and nothing happens...
    §PiÄj§

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    ...or good old XP 32-bit.
    just out of curiosity what are the caps that 32bit doesnt recognize RAm, 3 gigs, 4 gigs? processor speed?
    §PiÄj§

It sounds like the floppy drive itself has failed.

Make sure that when you extract the drivers to the floppy that there is a proper list of folders and files on the floppy. There should be a TXSETUP.OEM file visible. Don't just copy the download to the floppy. It may be zipped.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    It sounds like the floppy drive itself has failed.

Make sure that when you extract the drivers to the floppy that there is a proper list of folders and files on the floppy. There should be a TXSETUP.OEM file visible. Don't just copy the download to the floppy. It may be zipped.
    the folder contents i am putting on the floppy is just the drivers from the win64>IDE_Sata folder. I also unzipped the contents first then copied the drivers to the floppy. here's a pic of the drivers i have loaded to the floppy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    §PiÄj§

Ultimate Member
    Also, the TXSETUP.OEM or the .INI must be the first file on the floppy.
    Put both files on the floppy, in the order the setup file is looking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
    Also, the TXSETUP.OEM or the .INI must be the first file on the floppy.
    Put both files on the floppy, in the order the setup file is looking for them.
    not really sure how to put files "in order" -- how would i know if it isnt checking the files in right order

As for the floppy drive failure, it detects fine in every other aspect, and can see and access all of the drivers I copied to the floppy easily enough, just that one screen within the installation that gets me.
    §PiÄj§

I just tried installing 32 bit xp and the same issue happens after checking the hard disks after it formatted my partition...
    Get the :
    Please Insert Disk into Drive A with
    Nvidia ACHI Driver (SCSI)
    and hit Enter when ready
    So I hit enter and still absolutely no response, no try again, no signal from the computer or floppy that it is at least scanning for the drivers, nada
    §PiÄj§

Are you sure there is no IDE mode for the SATA ports? That would get you around this F6 problem altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Are you sure there is no IDE mode for the SATA ports? That would get you around this F6 problem altogether.
    Ive checked many many times, and believe me I want it to be there! My Bios has the IDE/SATA Configuration tab under the Advanced Features Tab.

Under the IDE SATA Congif tab is a list of the storage controllers, including the four SATA ports, but when I select them the next screen shows one single line :

IDE Auto Detection : [Enter]

When I hit Enter it just autodetects the size of the HDD, no way of changing the achi or IDE.

As for the floppy disk issue, i had Floppy Disk disabled under the Integrated Peripherals section of my BIOS, and when I enabled it and restarted it I got the :
    Floppy Disk Fails (40) message

Although even when i had the floppy disk disabled all this time I could use it (external USB floopy drive). Is it a matter of me installing drivers for MOBO for the floppy disk integration? your thoughts?
    §PiÄj§

for what its worth my BIOS version is 1.0.13...

Not sure if there is a way to update my BIOS and get more IDE options?
    §PiÄj§