Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boot Failure / BSOD

Boot Failure / BSOD

I was going through my normal routine this morning while drinking my coffee--checked email and was on the third forum, when I got a BSOD, out of the blue, for no apparent reason.

I rebooted and got another BSOD mid way through the boot process. I shut the system down for the day.

I booted the system this evening, did a regular bootup, checked email, and started a forum. After a very few minutes I got a BSOD.

First BSOD:
    STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x7D7c851D, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xBF8381FE)
    RIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Address BF8381FE base at BF82c000 DateStamp 3e6cb39b--USBPORT.SYS

Second BSOD:
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0xEC7A93C1, 0x00000000, 0xEC7A93C1, 0x00000000)
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Third BSOD:
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0x3F645795, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80467534)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Address 80467534 base at 80400000, DateStamp 45ec3c8f- ntoskrnl.exe

My system is old and slow. I'm running Win2K on an old Tyan motherboard.

Anyone like to venture a guess whats happening? I'd really rather not try this on my own. I'd certainly appreciate some help.

Check for bad caps and too much dust, then test the ram and hard drive. UBCD5 will have the tools you need.
    http://ubcd.linuxfreedom.com/

I would think memory from past experience and from looking at just these two errors I would have to say it could be bad or defective memory, try pulling it out and reconnecting the memory

Do you have any mismatch RAM in your system? the error 0x000000D1DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL happens The system attempts to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

This error 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

I'll try to find my copy of Memtest86 (is that it?) on a floppy. If I can find it I'll run that tonight.

I don't have UBCD, so cannot run more diagnostics until the system is up. The only copy of XP I have is a Dell edition, which I understand is not a good base for UBCD.

Thanks for the quick replies.

UBCD is LINUX based. UBCD4Win is Windows based. Two completely different projects.

Download UBCD5 from the link in my sig.

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you had used a UBCD before. The download is an .ISO , which you need to burn to CD. Then you boot the Tyan system from the UBCD, which will bypass the hard drive and W2K. Its simple, even a caveman could do it.

Basic Steps:
    Use your working pc to download the ISO and burn the image file to CD.
    Set the CD drive as first boot device on the W2K system.
    Then use the UBCD to boot the defective pc.
    Look for Memtest86+ and your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool and run both. If there are any errors , then the component is defective.

Progress report-- or lack thereof

I've had to do other things since I last posted on this. I have not yet been able to make a UBCD5 disk. I have Memtest86 3.3 on a floppy. The system just ignores it. I put it in the drive and power on. It might as well not be there. That same floppy works well on this system.

If I go with UBCD5 do I need any kind of OS to put on it? I was under the impression that I did, but the website doesn't mention it. Will it work just as downloaded and burned onto disk?

The system booted this morning, though a bit slower than normal, and I was able to print a couple things for my wife. It BSOD'ed after 7 or 8 minutes--ntoskrnl.

I opened the case this morning, blew out the dust, and reseated all three sticks of RAM. no luck

I pulled one stick of RAM out (Simpletech 256) and left in two sticks of NEC 256. I still refuses to boot (too soon after the BSOD?), coming to a screeching halt on the Windows 2000 splash screen about 2/3 of thw way across the progress bar.

And now it's time to be off to work. I'll look again late tonight.

If I go with UBCD5 do I need any kind of OS to put on it? I was under the impression that I did, but the website doesn't mention it. Will it work just as downloaded and burned onto disk?
    You don't need an OS. That's why it is a BOOT cd. You need to burn the .iso as an image, then boot from it. Read the FAQ.
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

A few more findings and comments. I booted the system into safemode this morning. It booted normally, but there wasn't a cursor. It just wasn't there.

I tried a repair install of W2K. It stalled during the "loading windows" section. It sat there doing apparently nothing for fifteen minutes or so.

I guess the next step is as has been suggested, burn UBCD5 and start poking around with that. The immediate problem now is that this backup system doesn't even have a cd burner. I'll have to pull the burner out of the problem system and stick it in here, and install a burning program. Any suggestions on a good, free, program for this purpose?

What would we ever do without these fun things to occupy our time?

Did you look at the UBCD FAQ?
    Using various freeware for burning an ISO image to CD or DVD

Infrarecorder is pretty good.

Did I look at the FAQ? Yes, though I still haven't read it as carefully as I should and will. Some rather significant car problems have intervened.

Things are going slowly. I've moved the c:/ into the backup computer. It boots well, and I've brought current all but one of the drivers. Seems to be working well.

However, I just ran SeaTools on this drive. It's an 80 gig Seagate Baracuda. I choose to do the quick scan first. It almost completed, and suddenly aborted. I ran it twice, with the same result. So, there may yet be a problem with the hard drive, though booting here and not in it's own system would seem to indicate that the problem lies elsewhere. Or might there be two seperate problems?

More suggestions?

You can try the Seatools advanced/long scan and see if errors pop up. You should not get any errors at all. You might be able to run the IBM/Hitachi HD Drive Fitness Test also.

This morning I cannot even run SeaTools. I've tried several times, and each time I receive a popup message: "Could not load file or assembly 'SpawnCLR Version=1.0.2658.20708, Culture=neutral, Publickey=null' or one of its dependencies."

I found SpawnCLR.dll as a loose file on E:/ (E:/SpawnCLR.dll). Is that file out of place? Is it damaged? What?

I'm trying to run SeaTools from my hard drive. I downloaded it at some point, and have it sitting there. Is this the correct process?

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes View Post
    I'm trying to run SeaTools from my hard drive. I downloaded it at some point, and have it sitting there. Is this the correct process?
    Aren't you using the UBCD disc? If anything, you should be booting from the Seatools disc, not running the Windows version.

I finally had time to burn a UBCD 4.11 disk. It has brought up some interesting questions, which I'll get to in a moment.

I pulled the two physical hard drives from the system which would not boot, and swappep them into the backup system. I had to deal with four or five drivers, but that wasn't too bad. I now have one running system, the backup tower with the hard drives from the old primary system. I put the hard drive from the backup system into the old primary tower. So, we'll call the old primary system, the one which has been having problems, system "A", and the backup system will be system "B".

System "B" is running well, and system "A" still will not boot.

Now back to my UBCD disk. It will not boot in system "B", even though I have the cd drive as the first boot device. The UBCD disk will, however, boot system "A", which will not boot otherwise. It's booting into whatever OS the UBCD disk is specifying. I've run 4 or 5 diagnostics so far on system "A", and all pass. Memtest86+ 3.3 says that the RAM is good. Western Digital says that the hard drive is good. There were one or two others which indicate no problem. But it won't boot into windows (W2K and now XP).

I suspect the motherboard on system "A". I see no leaking capacitors, but a number of them are leaning. What tests on UBCD 4.11 will test the motherboard specifically?

I'll give an interim 'thank you' for the help I've received, and for the help I will receive.