Thread: Heres the problem... (router)

Heres the problem... (router)

Router Netgear WGR614 v6. (What I have done so far and reason why)... The Girlfriend got a new laptop and wanted to connect wireless to my router. I forgot the wep. password. I pressed the reset defaults on back of (Netgear WGR614 v6 router) I then start to reset connection it wants a FIXED IP address. Comcast now does Dynamic IP addresses. (i had internet while all this was happening then it went down 3 mins in to me trying to think of what to do next). I then completely disconnect router and wire modem directly into comp do a fresh modem restart and comp restart to get internet back. I am now posting this trying to figure out what to do. Im assuming i need to update the firmware on router to do dynamic IP addys but at same time how do i connect it to update firmware with out losing internet connect? Using XP for OS and Firefox

I should add when i used the connection wizard software it detected that it was a FIXED IP addy. I called comcast and they said they DO NOT have a fixed IP addy.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Yes you can set your PCs for a Dynamic IP number.

But remember the Comcast router gives a ip number to your modem and nothing else.