Thread: Need help setting up a RAID system on a Dell Precision 470

Need help setting up a RAID system on a Dell Precision 470

My client has a system that has a RAID 1 configuration. I assume it's a RAID 1 setup since there are only two drives, and it is set up so that one disk mirrors the other.

The master drive has 3 partitions: 1 has the OS and programs, and the other two have data. Since the partition that has the OS and programs (the C drive) is so small (20GB), I am going to clone that one partition to another partition on a new drive that is much bigger using TrueImage. I am then going to have create more partition on the new drive that will be for the data that is being stored on the other two partitions on the original drive.

After I clone the C drive from the original drive to partition 1 on the new HDD, and copy some of the data from the other two partitions on the original drive to the second partition of the new HDD, I'm going to make the new HDD the master and install a second HDD that will also be new and of the same size, make, and model as the first new HDD, and make it the RAID mirror drive. The question I have is how do I set up the RAID system? Cloning/copying data is not a problem.

I have not set up a RAID system before, and I will be dealing changing the number of partitions that are in the current RAID setup. I believe the RAID system is setup through the BIOS, at least some settings are, because I saw them in the BIOS. I'm not sure if the rest of the RAID setup is software based, but I don't think it has a controller card or anything like that. The system is a Dell Precision 470, and it comes with RAID capability out of the box.

Even a link to instructions would be very helpful. I am going to search for a manual for this system online, but I thought I would post here first in case you guys have some tips to help me through the process to make it easier/quicker.

Also, I am going to be swapping out the mobo for the exact same mobo (refurbished) that we ordered from Dell. I already swapped out the mobo on his other system with great success (did not need to install any drivers or anything; was plug and play after the swap). Both systems are Dell Precision 470's and have the same exact setup, except this one has a RAID setup and the first one I did does not.

Here is the order in which I plan on doing things:

1. Create two partitions on the new HDD

2. Clone the C drive of the original drive to partition 1 on the new HDD (the new partition will be much larger in size than the original C drive)

3. Copy some of the data from the two partitions of the old drive to partition 2 on the new drive so I can test and make sure both partitions are being mirrored (the client will copy the rest of the data later)

4. Swap out the mobo with the original drive still in there

5. After making sure the mobo swap is successful, swap out the old HDD's for the new HDD's

6. Set up the new RAID configuration

7. Test the RAID configuration (any tips on testing would be appreciated)

I just need some steps or some links to some steps on how to set up the RAID system, and how to test it once I am done. Swapping out the mobo is not a problem since I've done it before, however the first system did not have a RAID setup. So if that changes things regarding swapping out the mobo, let me know.

Thanks.

Sorry but I didn't read through the whole thing...

Is the 20 gig partition FULL? Or do you expect it to get full?

And - I don't mess with Raid much - but something to look into: Replace the current 2nd drive with a large drive....Then rebuild the raid...I think this would kill a few birds with one store...Then you'd make the new larger drive - #1 - and add another newer llarge drive and rebuild the raid again.

That was a long post.

I assume it's a RAID 1 setup since there are only two drives
    It could also be RAID0. Don't assume.

If you are going to set up RAID1 on the new system, create the RAID1 array first, then do the copying etc.

You won't be able to just image the old partition and pop it onto the new RAID1 array. Since the controller would change, you would at least need to do a repair install.

Just because a motherboard has RAID built-in, don't assume it's hardware based. Many onboard RAID configurations are still software based.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, sorry about the long post. I just wanted to give you background info so you had the whole picture. I swapped out the mobo successfully, however, my client and I decided that it would be best if he found someone who had a fair amount of experience with RAID setups. I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out, but time was an issue.

Btw, what is a good resource where I can learn about RAID setups?

Also, it was a RAID1 setup, but thanks for letting me know that there were other possibilities, Midknyte. And you're right, it was software based.

Each system is different, so i don't know of a universal setup guide.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide/index_perf_raid.html

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html