Thread: Need help with upgrading and acers erecovery

Question Need help with upgrading and acers erecovery

I have windows vista premium on an acer 5536 laptop. I recently got a upgrade cd to windows 7 premium and 2 other cd's from acer with system drivers and a set up cd for the windows 7 cd. I have acers erecovery with pqservice on the pc. Should i use the cd's to upgrade with the acer errecovery or is there a way to use the cd's to do a clean install? Then if I ever had to restore the pc I could just use the cd's. Verry confused. I do not have an option to run erecovery unless I start it with the f10 key and alt held down.
    Any help greatly appreciated, John...

Acer Windows 7 Upgrade Faq's

What is included in the Windows® 7 upgrade kit?
    You will receive an Upgrade Wizard disc with necessary drivers and applications and a Windows® 7 Operating System DVD. The disks will be in a case with a manual and the Certificate of Authenticity (COA).

Can I do only a clean installation for Windows® 7 on my PC with Windows Vista® or I can do only an upgrade installation?
    You can do either a clean or upgrade installation of Windows® 7 if your PC was originally loaded with Windows Vista®. Note that only a clean installation of Windows® 7 is allowed if you have downgraded the OS from Windows Vista® to Windows® XP.

Step by Step : http://www.acer.com/windows7/eng/

Be sure you read and understand everything before you procede. I highly recommend you be sure all drivers and programs are updated prior to the "upgrade" and make a backup image of your drive regardless of which upgrade path you chose.
    Last edited by Rocketmech; 11-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.

The upgrade cd's it I got have 2 cd's from acer. A cd with the drivers for my notebook and a windows 7 premium cd. If I do an upgrade, will i still have vista in pqservice on a partition?
    What do you reccomend?
    Thank you, John..

I can't say I have ever seen any OEM Windows Upgrade DVD re-image the entire drive, replacing the recovery or restore partition as well. Remember this is an upgrade not a restore. All OEM Windows 7 Upgrade DVD's should be very similar to any store bought upgrade DVD or MS .iso download, thus should work the same.
    When you bought the laptop, it should have been configured to make a set of Recovery CD or DVD's, which you should have already made when you first set up the laptop. If not, then you need to do that now before you do anything else. Worse comes to worse, buying new original Recovery disks from Acer is easy. A call to Acer Support may ease your mind.

I recommend using something like Acronis True Image Home 2010 for backing up before you begin + updating as I mentioned before.
    Original Restore disks restore the factory image. 3rd party image software restores the current image you made, a much better solution.

Free Trial
    Newegg Prices