Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dialup Internet booster?

Dialup Internet booster?

I'm on dialup, can't get anything else.
    I live in a rural area with somewhat poor telephone connection.
    Is there some way I can the speed this up by using some sort hardware that I can use to improve the speed?
    My connection speed runs anywhere from 24 Kbps to 26 Kbps.
    thanks
    bill

If the Tel. lines are "poor" there is nothing to Boost.

It is not an issue of weak signal, it is an issue of Nosy signal, boosting noisy signal does not improve any thing, most of the times it is actually hindering further the connection.

You can try to optimize the TCP/IP stack.

Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

I'm on dialup, can't get anything else.
    You can get satellite.
    http://www.2-upgrade.com/

Internet booster

thanks Cat6
    I tried what you suggested, it did speed up the connection on some web sites(Microsoft, google) in others it may have speed up somewhat not enough to tell the difference.
    I'm thinking on going to satellie. I looked at Hughs, Wild Blue and a few others.
    Any suggestions here? I live in North central Texas, if that means anything.
    thanks for the quick reponse.
    bill

I leave in the NYC area so common DSL/FIOS, and cable Internet are available from few sources.

However my experience shows that all type of broadband are depending on the geographical area. Thus your are better of asking neighbors that has satellite broadband about their experience.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Some of my neighbors who got Hughes Net said it was awful, and for the price it was almost better to stick with dialup...

I guess they put a pretty strict bandwidth limit on your connection, gaming is difficult because of the limit and the inherit lag of using satellite internet, it cuts out easy and all around is pretty poor, but I suppose that's better than nothing considering your dialup connection isn't even full speed for dialup.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Thanks for the responses, I checked several reviews on satellite internet providers, hugh did rate low as well serveral others. Wild blue did rate higher. I'm going go with them and hope it works out..
    thanks for the help
    bill

I have a few clients outside the cable/dsl networks who use Wild Blue and like them. I usually recommend a celluar package with Verison, Sprint, ATT or check for a local guy boosting wifi . The SAT speeds are much like DSL but the price is really stiff. The cellular may be possible in your area and so far Verizon, Sprint and ATT have allowed those who tried it and couldn't get a decent signal to return the device and cancel, and charged for only the week or 2 they had it.

Thanks Rocketmech for the reply, One more question. I did subscribed to sky Blue to be used on two comuters. For this I going to need a router. I bought a Linksys workgroup switch thinking it to be a router(not paying attention here). Will this work for me? If so, How do I hook this up. I'm thinking Modem>first computer>workgroup switch>second computer? Will I get the same performance. Will I be able to run different web sites on the two computers? Or should I need to get a router?
    Thanks
    bill
    thanks

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    A router only requires one IP number.
    A switch requires a IP number for each computer.

modem - - - cat5 -- - router or switch - - - - computers

Saving money is why we normally use a router and a lot of IPs allow it as it saves IP numbers. Heck in their help files they even tell us how to use a router.

Yep, you want a router. The home versions all setup easy. Just follow the directions. If you get stuck , post back here.

Thanks Train, Rockermech, I took the switch back and got a router, downloaded the manual and specs. Now waiting for the installation.
    you all has been a great help
    thank again
    bill

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Do NOT be surprised when you have found it shockingly easy after it is all hooked up.

here you said your connection was 24 to 26 kbps, this is very slow so u have to reach your service provider or else make sure where you find your speed and some time the server may slow or problem where u test so my suggestion find your internet speed some where then come to a conclusion. test here your speed http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

Thanks mrrichard, for the web site address. I gave up on my dialup and went to satelitte service. I use the site to check the speeds. download speed average 470, the upload was around 70. I can live with these speeds the problem now is with the lenghty delays between downloads.
    thanks
    bill