Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue Screen Errors

Blue Screen Errors

Hi, I am new and appreciate the help.

I am running windows XP on an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.

I was having blue screen errors for a while. Last week I got a corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled the operating system to factory settings from the disks that came with the computer. I did all the upgrades etc.

Still having a ton of blue screen errors

Installed Service Pack 3

Later that day my computer froze and and I got a window that said "Windows system error Unknow Hard Error"

Then more blue screen errors 1 - 4 per day.

Each time they are different.

Today I got this one

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A3BAD78, 0x8A3BAEEC, 08A05D297E)

Any advice?

Thanks!

Considering all the strange error'a your getting you might want to run a test on your memory, which you can download from here http://www.memtest.org/,.

have you tried running CHKDSK? if not you may want to run a checkdisk from the command prompt, if your running windows vista make sure you open cmd prompt with administrator rights.

find out what kind of hard drive you have WD or Seagate etc, go to there website and download there hard disk diagnostics tools, most of them have software you can download at no cost. I doupt its any kinda of virus/malware it may be good to check it though.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Ran CHKDSK

Thank you for your suggestions.

I ran CHKDSK and it deleted two files, but the window that was running it closed suddenly the second it was finished and I did not have a chance to write the names of the files down. one was a .sol I believe.

I have not had a blue screen since but I haven't been on my computer much today.

I ran CHKDSK again and saw no problems. It recovered two orphaned cookie files before it closed.

I will try your other suggestion later today or tomorrow.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kurrlyGirl View Post
    I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled the operating system to factory settings from the disks that came with the computer. I did all the upgrades etc.
    I'll check back - running diagnostics on a new laptop HDD doesn't make sense. You did a "factory or OEM reinstall" If you're using HP disks it should be all good. Did the reinstall on the new drive go without any hitches?

What's the config on your laptop ram - how may sticks and in what configuration? Any memory read errors?

Can you boot into safe mode F8? Just after the BIOS boot - choose disable restart and give us the error again.

If you get into XP okay can you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer?
    Last edited by rmanet; 10-31-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Smile

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by rmanet View Post
    You did a "factory or OEM reinstall" If you're using HP disks it should be all good. Did the reinstall on the new drive go without any hitches?
    I did the reinstall from the factory HP disks that came with the computer. No hitches.

What's the config on your laptop ram - how may sticks and in what configuration? Any memory read errors?
    I am not very technical. If you tell me how to look it up I will follow your instructions and report back.

Can you boot into safe mode F8? Just after the BIOS boot - choose disable restart and give us the error again.
    Again I would need more detailed instructions on how to, but I am happy to try and report back.

If you get into XP okay can you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer?
    Yes I can do that. There are a lot of events. 4 categories of events: Application, Security, System, and Internet Explorer. What of this info would help?

Thanks again for the help!

Check in your system log and see if you can find anything that , not to be a smart **** but what do you mean (diagnostics on a new laptop HDD doesn't make sense) you have never came accros a bran new Desktop/laptop that had a bad HDD or a bran new HDD that was bad? lord know's I have, more than once mind you. this is a simple read on how to get into event viewer. look in system. the operating system logs its events here and you may find some errors in there that may help.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event...ld_i_care.html
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3

I do have some warnings in my event viewer. I will just list the ones from today.

I named my hard drive CLAUDE and my username KurrlyGirl

<B>APPLICATION </B>
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 10/30/2009
    Time: 3:06:01 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: CLAUDE
    Description:
    Windows saved user CLAUDE\KurrlyGirl registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------From Last Night-------
    Event Source: WinMgmt
    Event ID: 5603
    Date: 10/29/2009
    Time: 6:06:14 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

<B> SYSTEM </B>
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 10/31/2009
    Time: 8:42:32 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The SSPORT service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

-----and-------
    Time: 8:42:32 PM
    Description:
    The DgiVecp service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the device specified.

--------and----------
    Event ID: 7034
    Time: 8:26:58 PM
    Description:
    The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

----------------and-------------

Time: 8:26:55 PM
    Description:

-----------and----------------
    Time: 8:26:55 PM
    Description:

-------------and------------
    Time: 6:55:33 PM
    Description:

--------and --------------
    Time: 6:55:33 PM
    Description:

----and------------

<B>These warnings from last night:</B> 13 of them in a row...

Event Source: Ftdisk
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 57
    Time: 12:24:55 PM
    Description:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 be 00 ......&#190;.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 39 00 04 80 ....9..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 .......&#192;
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

-------and-------------
    Event Source: dnscache
    Event ID: 11050
    Date: 10/29/2009
    Time: 11:26:55 PM
    Description:
    The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.

Data:
    0000: 51 27 00 00 Q'..

I spent a good part of the day fixing a desktop with the identical 0xF4 BSOD. There were bad caps on this 15 month old intel motherboard (Lenovo). Once the mobo was replaced , all was fine. I hope your problem is something simpler like bad memory, but don't be too surprised if it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Tunzafun View Post
    I spent a good part of the day fixing a desktop with the identical 0xF4 BSOD. There were bad caps on this 15 month old intel motherboard (Lenovo). Once the mobo was replaced , all was fine. I hope your problem is something simpler like bad memory, but don't be too surprised if it is not.
    I think you are probably right!

Those events are nothing major. has it happened again yet? if its still happening, you may need to start looking at bigger issues than memory or hard drive problems like Ol'Tunzafun said.

How many times does ID 57 come up in event viewer

<B>These warnings from last night:</B> 13 of them in a row...

Event Source: Ftdisk
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 57
    Time: 12:24:55 PM
    Description:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 be 00 ......&#190;.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 39 00 04 80 ....9..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 .......&#192;
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 11-02-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher View Post
    Considering all the strange error'a your getting you might want to run a test on your memory, which you can download from here http://www.memtest.org/
    I ran Memtest86+4.00 last night

It said:
    ***********Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit.*************

Wall time: 8:35
    Cached: 2015
    RsvdMem: 420K
    MemMap: e820
    Cache: on
    ECC: off
    Test: Std
    Pass: 8
    Errors: 0
    Ecc Errs: (no text here)

So what does this mean? Does this mean that my memory sticks are good?

I had the blue screen errors both before and after installing my new Seagate Hard drive so I don't think it is caused by the new hard drive.

Thanks for your help!

Looks like your memory is good, was a long shot put still something that should be checked, is the laptop hotter than normal?
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher View Post
    Looks like your memory is good, was a long shot put still something that should be checked, is the laptop hotter than normal?
    Sometimes the laptop runs hot. Today it is good, but it did get hot last night when running the memtest.

If it starts to get too hot I usually will shut down. In that case sometimes when it is shutting down I will get a message that a program couldn't close.

I still think it is likely a hardware problem since I just reinstalled the operating system to factory settings in the last couple of weeks and things aren't any better with the blue screen errors.

I didnt really take note of the model Laptop you where running for some reason I thought it was different, those Pavilion dv6000 had heat issues, I have a freind who has sent his back twice, issues with heat, Internet explorer stops responding or will not start, errors when loading the OS, http://mattsblog.ca/2007/12/14/havin...ries-notebook/ read some of the reports on this blog allot of people having the same problem as you, I hate to say it but I do think your having hardware failures and may need to send it back if its under warranty, if not it will cost a pretty penny and may be better just to get a new one depending on the cost of repairs
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3

So it seems to be time to get a new laptop. Do you guys have any suggestions? If you could point me to a specific laptop that you recommend that would be very helpful.

What would be a good replacement for my HP Pavilion dv6000 for under $1000? Should I look at the Pavilion dv6-1350 model or stay away from HP?

I like my large screen (mine is currently 17 inches), I need a DVD burner and I don't have another desktop computer, just the laptop. I would like one that has Windows 7 installed. Oh and it has to come with Factory disks, none of this burn your own disk business that never works for me.

A friend suggested that I could get a great deal if I wait until black Friday. Is there a specific deal I should look for? A specific store, or online deal? Should I be camping out the night before somewhere? Is there a specific laptop deal you guys could recommend? The number of choices is overwhelming.

Thanks for your help!