Thread: best way to get internet off neighbor

best way to get internet off neighbor

Since my neighbor built his garage right in the path for clear line of sight to the cheap wireless internet, & I can't get above it with a tower due to power lines, he will gladly share his connection, rather than move his garage. What I envisioned was an access point or router with removable antennas that I could hook to a Yagi or dish to connect to him. That is the easy part I think. I'd also like to be able to use the wireless in the house so I'm thinking a router thingy with 2 antennas may do this. I'd also like to be able to use the 10/100 ports too. Am I asking too much from one device? What is this called? I'm thinking access point with a client, or bridge mode, I also see discussion of repeater mode.
    Anyone else doing this? What hardware are you using? How did you set it up? Is a linksys with tomato the way to go for this? Will turning up the power on the linksys enable me to have a better chance of maintaining a signal during bad weather? thanks
    Yea, though they walk in the valley of light with no shadows, everyone else is evil.
    Their bigotry & predjudice comfort them.
    for theirs is the power of self righteousness forever. allmen

chickens
    Yea, though they walk in the valley of light with no shadows, everyone else is evil.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    WebMediaBrands AUP Agreement
    AUP

You will not violate any laws nor to discuss illegal activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    AUP

Quote Originally Posted by mcool61 View Post
    & I can't get above it with a tower due to power lines, he will gladly share his connection, rather than move his garage.
    Not exactly illegal if he has permission, and connecting wireless networks isn't illegal either...

sum1 must be a little jumpy 2day...

to the OP i'll PM you how to go about it. That way no 1 get's there knickers twisted..

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    AUP

Your dedication is commendable. I suspected I was borderline with this one, but under the circumstances, I thought maybe.....
    But then no replies-hence the chicken goading.
    I know of one thing that would work great. We got an ethernet bridge (900MHz) at work from B&B electronics that works super at a distance & doesn't seem to drop connection during storms however it was around $700. Bit more than I'm willing to pay.
    Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    Not exactly illegal if he has permission, and connecting wireless networks isn't illegal either...

sum1 must be a little jumpy 2day...

to the OP i'll PM you how to go about it. That way no 1 get's there knickers twisted..

Odds are real good that the ISP involved would have a lot to say about this.

And Yes, mcool61 is free to send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Odds are real good that the ISP involved would have a lot to say about this.

And Yes, mcool61 is free to send you a PM.
    Actually the ISP knows about it, or at least the installer does. They tried extensively to get me signal & weren't able to due to the garage. He suggested I could pay part of the neighbors bill. Undoubtedly not an official policy, & perhaps the installer doesn't care one way or the other.