Thread: Need a "lean" free anti-virus program

Question Need a "lean" free anti-virus program

I'm working on a friend's laptop with a AMD 1500 processor (794Mhz), 256MB RAM (will be upgraded to 512) and Windows XP Pro. It's fine for simple apps and surfing the web, but it needs a lean running anti-virus program. It was loaded with Norton Internet Security 2007, which is a resource hog on any PC so I took it off and immediately improved its performance. I put AVG Free 8.5 on it instead, but even that AV program is seriously hampering the laptop's operation. The culprit with AVG is its Resident Shield component.

Can anyone recommend a free and simple "anti-virus only" program that will run lean and do a good job for my non-techie user?

Thanks,

Barry
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Avira Free is what I use on my laptops.
    http://www.free-av.com/

Now you need to clean up behond Nortons and AVG.
    Norton Removal Tool

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

AVG Remover

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

I'll give Avira a try. As for cleaning up NIS and AVG, I've already down the former and I'll make sure to do the latter.

Barry
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus

The Norton removal tool is a little unreliable - if you're comfortable you may need to also view the registry for Norton, Symantec keys.

Will have to look at Avira; our corporate solve was Sonicwall and MacAfee, so when I get the occasional virus I still have to use Malwarebytes, SuperAS to go in and clean the machine. Wouldn't hurt to install them for future use.

Use AVG free on 6 comps at home and it outperforms Norton and McAfee everytime and has been pretty reliable all things considered. Not nearly as bloated or invasive as the others.
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Nice review of AV comparatives here
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

I think avast home edition is quite nice as well. Seems to find about 40% more baddies than AVG does plus auto update for virus definitions & program updates are a nice touch. Also it runs better + uses less system resources than AVG. I haven't used Avira yet. but if u want a great free AV for a basic user...Avast is the best choice in my opinion