Thread: Desktop Keeps Rebooting After Shutdown

Desktop Keeps Rebooting After Shutdown

My desktop (Win XP Pro SP3) has started rebooting itself upon shutdown. I haven't added any new hardware.

Under "Startup and Recovery" System Failure "Automatically restart" is unchecked.

Still no blue screen and or error codes.

I have to shut down from power strip, and then it takes pushing the power switch on desktop 5-7 times to make it bootup.

System specs would help. Could be a problem with the PSU.

Check the motherboard for bad caps.
    http://www.badcaps.net/

Did you check event viewer yet?

I would guess a bad PSU (power supply) as Midknyte suggests.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Here are the specs

ABIT NF7-M 462(A) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 1.833GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor
    COOLMAX CR-450B 450W ATX Power Supply

I noticed that the NB Fan is not moving. The connection is not loose, and I don’t know when it stopped functioning.

In the System Event Viewer I see this “the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run chkdsk utility on the volume G.”

I do have a multimeter, but I have never checked voltages on a PSU.

I am going to take the MB out and examine for any bad caps.

Thanks

If the NB fan died, that could cause problems. Bearings do wear out.

I would run a hard drive diag also. If you don't have UBCD, download it from the link in my sig. Run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diag.

If you don't know how to burn .iso files, read the UBCD FAQ

I took the MB out and didn't find any bad caps. I took the NB Fan and gave it some WD40, it is running now.

Now the desktop is shutting down (I guess takes little longer) and starts on the first pressing of power button.

I took out a dial-in modem card.

However there is no internet connection. When I try to repair 1394 network connection, I get "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection."

I did restoration to a early point. No connection and then netsh winsock reset and netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt.

I still get the same "Failed to query... error.

May be time to call Time Warner (I don't remember if there were TCP/IP DNS server settings.

1394 is firewire, so don't even bother with that. There should be an ethernet adapter listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    1394 is firewire, so don't even bother with that. There should be an ethernet adapter listed.
    Wasn't thinking right..

So I guess I have lost my on board Ethernet connector

Check Device manager to see if the ethernet card is listed. If not, check the bios to make sure it is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Check Device manager to see if the ethernet card is listed. If not, check the bios to make sure it is enabled.
    It got disabled in BIOS.

Thanks for your help. (got internet and shutting down problem seems to have gone away).

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Bad shutdowns can cause all kinds of changes in the BIOS, depending on the make of the board's desired settings.
    Learned the hard way shall we say.

Oh well the shutting down/power up problems have come back. This is a March 2005 build, WIN XP Pro, 1 GB Ram DDR 400, and AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 1.833GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor (So I am back to PC101 as far as current systems knowledge).

Since then I have spent approx. $900.00 total ($500 originally and rest upgrading it ($285 for HDs , $115 for DVD burners (I use them often), and rest misc. firewire cards etc.)

My computing power needs (Internet, MS Office, PDF, Video and Photo Editing and Scanning, only). Softwares I use ask minimum of (1.8 GZ or faster CPU, Min 1 GB Ram, 1,280x800 with 16-bit video card, Some GPU-accelerated features, OHCI-compatible i.LINK® connector*/IEEE-1394DV card).

I am thinking that these may be my options.

#1 First get a new PSU and see if everything else is ok.

#2 Wait for November/Black Friday deals and replace MB, CPU and Ram. Reinstall Win XP (Use existing case, 2 SATA HDs, 2 DVD burners, firewire card (if it can be used it is PCI), 22’’ Samsung LCD, Logitech keyboards etc.)

#3 Wait for November/Black Friday deals and buy a prebuilt system (no monitor) and also add exiting HDs and keep 2 dvd burners for backup. Upgrade to Vista or Windows 7 (may have to buy a new scanner as this one is discontinued model and drivers may not be available for Vista or Windows 7). Costco sells some ZT CPU only systems. Or Dell, HP or ?

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...=78519&topnav=

I don’t know if option #2 or #3 will be better. In the meantime, I may have to either buy a PSU or figure out how to connect HDs to laptop (or I can use kid’s desktop to pull files....when PSU finally goes down).

Oh also, as you have figured out, I don’t need a fancy, fast system gaming system (DVI connection will be better for Samsung Monitor). Just something to get by for next few years, and upgradeable to HD video editing.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Let me tell you one thing, a dual cpu will shock you im the time difference when scanning pictures. Yes, my main rig has a 2500 Barton.
    I can do 3 or 4 scans with the laptops vs. one scan with the main rig.

As for scanner, I use Epson. Well worth it. And should you do negatives, let that guide you in what model to buy.

Found out the hardway with a 4X5 color negative. Cost me $$ WITH A LOCAL SHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by bka1967 View Post
    Wasn't thinking right..

So I guess I have lost my on board Ethernet connector
    Is that what you're seeing in Device Manager? Did you pull what looked like a modem card, or was it your network card?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some basic tips on the restart problem; any chance you have Roxio CD Creator?

link Windows XP Restarts Unexpectedly or Restarts When You Shut Down the Computer

link Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer

Post back, rather than try and rebuild or replace that system it may be some sort of application or other process causing the problem?
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Thanks all and Midknyte and BipollarBill

It was the PSU. Fans finally stopped spinning and no boot-up (PSU smelled bad like a blown up Cap). I pulled a PSU from a HP desktop and put it in (no SATA for HDs though). The desktop booted right away.

I got this locally instead of Newegg just for convenience of return in case anything else was wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171031

The NB fan is spinning but noisy. Little Googling found this
    http://www.directron.com/zmnb47j.html

Thanks and Regards Again!
    Last edited by bka1967; 10-04-2009 at 06:16 PM.