Thread: a few UBCD questions(well probably lots)

a few UBCD questions(well probably lots)

hi all, finaly getting on the wagon and trying to make a UBCD disk.

I have downloaded the program and loaded it. I did it step by step from the tutorial.

I copied my xp disk to my desktop, did the thing with show hiden files and all that.

so to me the source file should be c:\windows\destop\xpcd I get a wrong file path.

when I copied the files from the xp disk I just copied and pasted the cd disk to the xp folder, so inside it made another folder called vx2hfpp_en(d) ( is that the correct way to do it).

in the tutorial it said you didnt have to dick with custom setting lest you know what your doing. I dont, so enough said.

output: wasent sure what to do their so I left it as it was (C:\UBCD4win\BartPe) in the drop down window it says BartPe .

the plug ins and build settings I just looked at, didnt understand fully whats exspected their, so just moved on to createw an iso image...

here it wants a file name, do I just make up a name with a .iso exstentioin or is it looking for a file path to the cd burner using the file name I choose?.

one more thing (well two) first, all I have on this rig rig is the windows burning program, I have an old version of NTI but its to old to recognise a cd/dvd combo drive so I didnt even bother to load it.

2ndly I have a partial load of another install of xp on this rig I havent dealt with yet(newbie going loopy thread) rocketmech has shown me the path to correcting this, but since Ive done all this ubcd stuff before I thought about the second install I am just currious would this have any bearing on the wrong file path issue.... Im thinking not. since every thing is where its supposed to be and i am booted into the working install of xp. as always your time thoughts and imput are valued.

regards, ward.
    Last edited by wardD; 09-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.

First off, you're talking about UBCD4Win, not UBCD. They are two separate projects.

so to me the source file should be c:\windows\destop\xpcd I get a wrong file path.
    Are you sure the pathname is correct? I usually make a C:\UBCD4Win folder. Then I copy the i386 folder from the XP CD into the UBCD4Win folder. I don't have a vx2hfpp_en(d) folder.

If you need a burner app:
    http://infrarecorder.org/

If your current Windows install is messed up, I can't say how that will affect the UBCD4Win builde.

ok, well thats good to know. I tried the links from sys opt to download ubcd but they didnt work or i couldent navigate to the download page, so I just downloaded the above mentioned program from major geeks.

if you have a link to a D/load site for the plain ole ubcd Id like to give that a try.

in the mean time i will deal with the os issue,s so we can iliminate that potential problem.

thanks, ward.

Quote Originally Posted by wardD View Post
    ok, well thats good to know. I tried the links from sys opt to download ubcd but they didnt work or i couldent navigate to the download page, so I just downloaded the above mentioned program from major geeks.
    The link from Tech Tools is working fine for me:
    http://ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

The link to UBCD5 is at the top of Tech Tools. It is in my signature also.

You should also be using an NTFS partition for the builds.

When browsing for the Windows setup folder, the files MUST be in a folder named "i386". When you specify the path to that folder, you don't include the i386. As an example, lets say that the i386 folder is on your C drive. In that case, the path to the i386 folder is:

C:\

It's *not* C:\i386.

So, if your i386 folder is on your desktop. the path would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop

It's a fine distinction, but an important one.
    MS MCP, MCSE

ok, that link worked fine. I havent installed it yet. have a bunch of domestic **** to deal with but I will give it another go this evening.

thanks for the burning program link, have that loaded up on bith my laptop and the old sis machine. looking forward to test drivin her tonite.

thanks for the info and Im sure Ill be chatin with you all again this evening.

ward.

Yaaaa, took a few cracks at it, but I got a ubcd cd made( well DVD) and it even boots. gee,s Im stoked.

may have to drive out to a buddies place this evening and try it out, he says his laptop wont spark up.

thanks for all the input, ward.