Thread: external harddrive troubles

external harddrive troubles

My friend got a new WD ext harddrive today and we installed it. Problem was, it shows up in the device manager, but not in my computer. He tried to download some pic's from his camera, but didn't had the option to send them to the new HD. He pluged in a MP3 players and it showed up under my computer. is this HD working? thanks.

What OS are you running? Did you check disk management to see if the external is detected there?

The drive letter may be overlapping with an optical drive, so you'd need to change one or the other. I usually change my optical drives to be R: and S:

If you decide to change the letter of the external, I usually use X:

His os is WinXP. I brought the drive home with me and it does the same on my Vista. I don't see it in my disk manager, only my basic HD and DVD. Now what?

Sounds like a bad drive. The usb adapter is detected, but the drive itself is not recognized.

Where did you get it? Can you exchange it?

you have to format the drive before its recognized. just went through this with mine. im running vista though so it would be differant than xp, Ill spark up my xp machine and see if Ican find the disk management area, or you may want to just go to wd site and they have a tutorial on it for differant os,s

ps for vista start/controll panel/admintools/computermanagment/storage/ you should see the usb drive their. format or partition it and its good to go( well we hope).

ward
    Last edited by wardD; 09-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.

you have to format the drive before its recognized.
    WD drives come preformatted. The older/smaller drives were FAT32. The newer drives use NTFS.

THe HD must be no Good, so I am returning it. When pluged up, you can't an sound of spinning or light changes. THanks you guys for the help.

well im certainly not going to dipute what midnyte is saying, however i just purchased a 1tera bite seagate sata drive and a velosity encloser, and was told at point of purchase I would have to format the drive. I had the same symptoms as roho, but once i figured out how to format it she,s huming along nicley.

respectfuly, ward.

i just purchased a 1tera bite seagate sata drive and a velosity encloser,
    You BUILT that external. That's a totally different situation. Pre-built External drives come formatted.