Thread: Dell 8400 Motherboard replaced

Ultimate Member

Dell 8400 Motherboard replaced

I just replaced a Dell Dimension 8400 motherboard with an identical board (new) not purchased from Dell. My thought was hopefully I would not have to reload the OS, etc. The first 3-4 times I booted I got the BOD which was discouraging. However, I removed the CMOS battery for a few seconds, replaced it and the computer then booted into Safe Mode and the on the next boot, it booted normally.
    Everything from this point on is normal and I did not lose a thing.

I did observe, however, when looking at the CMOS, there was no Express Service Code or Service Tag Number. I guess that is to be expected and is no big deal.

My question is: If I would have had to reload with WXP Pro using a valid Dell WXP Pro CD, would it have worked? I suspect the original Product ID was held somewhere on the MOBO and the CD would have looked for it and would not have found it. Is that correct???

Just curious. If it didn't work, would Microsoft have provided a valid code free??

The product ID is not in the motherboard. The Dell XP CD will check for a Dell bios.

Ultimate Member
    Thanks much!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like you bought a Dell OEM mobo and it wasn't quite exact to the original but it was close enough for WinXP to adjust to.

You should create an image of that installation, because if you ever have to reinstall, Windows is not going to find the BIOS marker.