Thread: Delayed Audio in Vista Ultimate

Delayed Audio in Vista Ultimate

After reinstalling Windows a month ago, I am experiencing the oddest problem. Most Windows sounds are delayed by about 1 sec.

For example: in a new e-mail message in Outlook, if you put your cursor in the To: field, and press the Backspace key, you get a chime letting you know you've reached the beginning of the field. Mine is delayed by 1 sec.

I first noticed it when trying to play Hold 'Em. The sounds are choppy and--surprise--delayed.

I'm using the integrated SoundMAX audio on my system board.

I've tried both the drivers from ASUS and the Microsoft suggested drivers through Automatic Updates.

Other apps are fine (iTunes, audio/video playback in WMP or VLC, games, etc.).

Anyone else ever run across this and have an idea?

It's not a huge deal; just one of those things that starts to annoy after a while.

Go to your sound card’s control panel.
    Locate the option that allows you change the default audio format for the card.
    Set the default format to 24-bits, 48000Hz or less (if it doesn't work with 48000Hz, try 24 bits, 44100Hz)

If you set your sound card’s audio format to anything higher than 24 Bits, 48000 Hz, you may experience audio issues with some games and apps.. This setting should be changed from your audio card’s control panel (Realtek HD Audio Manager, etc or if its onboard). If you cannot find the option in your sound card software you can try the generic fix below:

Right click volume control on system tray and choose Playback devices.
    Choose the your default playback deveice and click properties.
    Go to the advanced tab. The default audio format should be selectable from there.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Already at 16bit and 44100. Oddly enough, I just opened Hold 'Em and it's normal. So, I guess this problem is intermittent. Now I just have to watch out for when it happens and what ir running that isn't running now.