Thread: Spell check faulty.

Hybrid View

Spell check faulty.

Sounds daft but when I use the Check in the toolbar (is that a Google tool?) It plays silly beggars, highlights half a word which is clearly correct and wants to replace it with something else.
    Is there something wrong with the Toolbar or is it just silly old me?

Heres aHere'smple of what it does. all was correct.
    it was originally
    Heres an example of what it does. all was correct.
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Why are you even using Internet Explorer? You should switch to Google Chrome or Firefox.

Are you sure that the Google Toolbar is set to the Queen's English? Look under toolbar Options > General.

Rather than asking us to guess where this button is, Doc, take a snapshot of the window and show us. Press ALT-Print Screen to take a snap. Open MS Paint and click Edit > Paste. Use one of the Paint tools to circle the item in question. Save the image as a JPG and attach it when you post here.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Huh? I don't use IE. Been using FireFox ever since I joined this forum.
    Yes, language set to English which presumably is Queen's like wot I speaks.

I'll do a test mes
    sae an
    d spell check it and send you the result.

The quick bron
    fox
    jumps over te la
    zy
    dog.
    Mary had a little lamb, it's flece
    was w
    hite as snow and evrywh
    ere that
    Mary went, the lam was sre to
    go
    Don't know if this is OK, believe it or not,, I've never done a print screen before.
    docusk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

The attachment worked great.

It *is* the Google Toolbar and it *is* messed up. First, make sure that Firefox is updated (Help > Check for Updates). Be sure that you have version 3.53.

Next, update the Toolbar:

http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie/index.html
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    It looks like you have nearly every toolbar ever written installed.

Do you actually use any of them?

I NEVER let any program install a toolbar (my opinion).

You may want to uninstall at least a few of them. Check in add/remove programs.

Three of you eh? Tough guys all I bet.
    OK Bill, I'll follow the advice and hope it will come good.
    Now Sterling, I can't resist a good offer whether it's a toolbar or a woman! (you should be so lucky) but you may be right. I thought I only had Google? How can I find out what else I have?
    Ole Tunzafun, I can just remove Google and then reload? BUT, is Chrome OK now? as it had some nasty reviews earlier in the year.
    I sometimes wish I was back dishing out pills, enemas and bad advice! Not half so much trouble as this bloody machine at times. Still, I love it really
    docusk
    Last edited by docusk; 09-16-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Refurbished Computer.

That spell check problem is a known issue that appeared when Firefox updated to 3.5.1. Google is said to be working on a solution and I don't rally know if they ever came up with anything, but if they did, the problem would be resolved by removing the toolbar and downloading and installing the latest version. You could also try updating to the latest version of Firefox.
    Failing that, this might be an opportunity to take Google Chrome out for a spin.

Yeah, you should be able to remove both toolbars (Yahoo and Google) from within the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel.

I rather like Bill's advice and Sterlings advice. It's pretty hard to go wrong there.

If all you want is a spell checker, you would do well with TinySpell
    http://tinyspell.m6.net/#download
    It will run in any or all applications, though you may wish to disable the beep. The British language pack can be found at the bottom of the page.

As for Google Chrome, it's not going to do any harm, but it lacks features that I regularly use, like allowing pop-ups for specified sites. With Chrome and Safari. pop-ups are either ON or OFF. And the list goes on. Firefox still gets the nod.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 09-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Doc: Ef I wont two youse a spel chacker than I stert up Wordd.

Hewe's a weawwy good speww checking site:

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

Oh har de har har har!. I con spel two yu no. Just my sin tax mey nut be so gud.
    I bin spkin de kweens Englesh 4 abut 80 yeers,

Thanks for the tips. I could only find Google toolbar but in Internet explorer. How did you know? I don't seriously use IE any more.
    I will download the spell checkers and see how it goes.
    I've asked before; do you never sleep? Like police and medic types, always on duty

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

I sleep all the time. Its Midknyte that doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I sleep all the time. Its Midknyte that doesn't
    It's not just a name; it's a lifestyle. No rest for the wicked.

Since I'm posting, I don't use toolbars either. I don't even use the Bookmarks toolbar in FF.

I'm probably like you Steve, sleep all the time. One day I'm going to see the end of my favourite TV programme. Not just yet though, manana?
    Perhaps M K pops uppers to keep awake?
    see you soon.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.