Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I get re-directed to another website

I get re-directed to another website

I am currently having a problem that has me frustrated. When I click a saved link in the IE favorites of my home computer, I get directed to another site. When I place the arrow of the mouse on the saved link the URL shown in the tool tip is the correct one but when I click, I get to a completely different site. The website that I want to go to is still up and running because I can get there with that URL when I use my computer at work.

I deleted the link from my IE favorites an saved it again and still get re-directed to the same wrong site. When I do a google search for my intended website and I click it from the search results, it takes me to the same wrong site.

I am getting frustrated because I need the correct(intended) website to prepare my lectures.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I think I have a "bug", for want of a better name, on my home computer

Thanks for the help.
    Get up just to get down...be on even keel

That sounds like a classic case of viruses or malware. They can redirect your browser or modify your HOSTS file.

What antivirus/antispyware are you running on your computer?

Currently, Iam using Avast Pro for antivirus, Comodo for firewall, SuperAntispyware (free version) and Spywareblaster for my anti spyware needs.

Thanks for your reply

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You might want to try Malwarebytes as well. Make sure to keep it updated with the latest dat files and run a scan every week or so.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have downloaded Malwarebytes and installed and ran it but did not find any threats or malware. I found five previously with SuperAntispyware and deleted all of them, but the problem still persists and get redirected to the same site.

Please what should I try or do next?

Thanks for your replies.

Did you check your HOSTS file?

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

For most people, the only entry should be 127.0.0.1 localhost

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Spybot Search and Destroy may help with the HOST file.

I use it on all of my systems since Spybot includes the feature to "immunize" or block known BAD websites.

Which operating system?

MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks once again for the replies and the link. I am currently using Vista 32bit. I have checked my hosts files and the contents are:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost.

I shall download and run Sysbot search and Destroy later on as I have to rush to work and shall let all of you know the update.

Once again I am really and truly grateful as all of you have been very generous with your time and suggestions

Thanks

HOSTS looks ok.

Did you try another browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera? If the websites work ok on an alternate browser, then you know the problem is with IE. If it happens on all browsers, then it's a system problem.

If the hosts file is OK, the next thing is a winsock fix.
    In Vista:
    1. Go to Start.
    2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator.
    4. Allow elevation request, if required..
    5. Type netsh winsock reset at the Command Prompt, and then press the Enter key.
    6. Restart the computer

Malware likes to insert an extra layer in the TCP/IP stack to redirect you their own sites. The above procedure will reset the winsock to defaults.
    Another trick that we are starting to see, is the modification or replacement of your network driver. Updating the driver fixes it, though this is far less common than the winsock trick.

I would like to thank all of you again and again and again. I ran Sysbot search and destroy which found two hidden files one of which was described as a registry key. I closed it backed up my registry and the ran it again and deleted both hidden files, restarted my computer and now the problem has been solved. Thank you all very much for being very generous with your time and advice.

To all of you I say thanks, danke, merci, gracias...... this is my clumsy way of saying, this board and its members are the bomb.

Thanks

Newwkidd

So Spybot S&D did what Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware combined could not do?

It's good to see Spybot get a little respect.

That is a bitter pill to swallow.