Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reflash the BIOS or what?

Have you tried changing your Bios settings? Everytime I change the battery, flash, or reset the Bios, I have always had to redo my Bios settings. Such as setting up the cpu speed so that it reads the right speed.

I bet everyone thought this thread had died a slow death... not yet. Higher priorities... work, leaking faucets and the Honey do list.

Well, I finally pulled the board and after removing some....dust. I have some bad caps as Ol" TF suggested looking for. So, I have registered with Badcaps and will proceed to replace the 5 that have gone bad. The board has a mix of Rubicon and Nichicon caps. Only the Nichicons have gone bad. From what I have read I should probably recap the whole board, but I will start with the obvious and go from there.
    I will be ordering the caps this week. I will post the results when complete.

From my experience, it is necessary to replace those caps before they start giving you trouble. The logic behind this is that the regulators downstream from the caps work overtime trying to compensate for the failing caps, until they themselves overheat and fail. It is usually only then that we notice that there is something wrong, but by then it is too late, unless you want to be replacing mosfets as well as caps.
    I have replaced caps on boards that ran for years afterward, just because they were obviously leaking, but on boards already exhibiting problems, I have never had any success. Of course, I had to learn this the hard way before setting out to discover why this was happening.
    Your mileage may vary, but there you have it.
    In any case, anyone who is willing to roll up his sleeves and take on a task like this should be commended. There is an old Confucianism that states, "He who says something cannot be done should not stand in the way of those who are actually doing it."
    Good luck CuriousBuilder.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 10-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.

OL'T, thanks for the advice. It still boots... slowly and with some difficulty, but once up works fine. The caps did not leak, only four have an ever so slight bulge in the top. It was easily missed amongst the dust and cabling. Once I removed and cleaned things up, there they were.
    I read on "Badcaps" it may not make it, but for $4.48 worth of caps, what the heck. If it recovers I will give serious thought to recapping the board. It would be a good backup (plus the experience) if I ever need to work on my "dualie".

I read here, I believe it was a post by "Midnite" there is the possibility of a damaged HDD we will see.